Axe 'n Sax-in 2013

Well I am back and settled , I will be finishing up the demo seax today so hopefully should have some pictures soon.

Thank you all for making this into a great event.

It means a great deal to be among ones people......

Great to see all the good work, Luke you really have got the seax down, good job.

Special thanks to Jeff and Jim for the invite and for their great hospitality and to Nate for trolling around airports and RV pick up sites.....

Nate and Eli I still have knives for you that I didn't get around to giving you.....

I think I have a crush on California......

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as if everyone had a great time. I hate that I had to miss it.

If there is an event next year (if there's not a *!%@ government shutdown that furlough's half my employees like this year), I will be there.

Thanks Jeff and Jim for hosting such a great and important event for the craft!

--Dave

Many thanks to the attendees, the crew, and especially the demonstrators for making this such a wonderful event! We got such an intense look at so many aspects of historically informed smithing, the inspiration should easily last until the next one ;-)

I have just finished up the demo blade , altered the shape to be closer to the original blade. and thinned it a little (possibly a little too much for spine pattern optimisation).

photo is a little odd as I am messing with a new camera.....

anyhow here its is...

10710721044_788732f78f_c.jpg

Very impressive Owen.

What a great event this appears to have been. You have to wonder in history when there was such an open sharing of high quality information among a gathering of pros and neophytes, as seen in the bladesmith community over the last few years.

Seems a true tribal initiatory event.

Very impressive Owen.

What a great event this appears to have been. You have to wonder in history when there was such an open sharing of high quality information among a gathering of pros and neophytes, as seen in the bladesmith community over the last few years.

Seems a true tribal initiatory event.

Needs more dark caves, incense & scary masks to be REALLY initiatory… maybe a burn or two. Mu ha ha haaaaa… ;)

Edited by J.Arthur Loose

Needs more dark caves, incense & scary masks to be REALLY initiatory… maybe a burn or two. Mu ha ha haaaaa… ;)

Or tattoos... We really need a tattoo for the event...

They've hinted at 2015. These things are like magic, though... do it too often and the mystery is gone, and it becomes the expectation. Keep it rare, and it stays special and worth going to.

Wow Owen - the seax blade came out great! I'm so glad I got to see you piece that together and weld it up.

Regarding the event: I would like to give my sincerest thanks to our traveling demonstrators for agreeing to launch the gathering with us and for putting in the time to prepare for it and see it through. I would also like to thank the attendees for placing a wager of time and money on an unproven idea, then helping to make it a great experience for us all with your generous and engaged spirits. The most common thing I heard during all four days was "Is there anything I can do to help?" That meant a great deal to me.

They've hinted at 2015. These things are like magic, though... do it too often and the mystery is gone, and it becomes the expectation. Keep it rare, and it stays special and worth going to.

That is incredibly good advice!

That last ingot turned out nice. The columbia river ingot hasn't been forged out yet. I haven't even had a chance to fire up the forge as I've been working on filling some stainless kitchen knife orders. I did manage to find the time to order in some crucibles. That took a little longer as I decided to see what the local foundry supply company coud do price wise. Don't worry though I'll make sure to post pictures as it gets turned into a knife.