Doing a sword for a fellow, wants sort of a hybrid sort of viking katana type deal, kind of unusual but OK cool. Found some picture I had lost on my phone tonight. Hollow ground bevels on a 16" wheel, ground in fuller on a 2" wheel. Started with 1/4" stock. 32" blade, 10" grip plus some extra for the pommel. WHAT A BEAST, 3 hours from start to this point. Things are still a little wiggly before heat treat.

531575_10200632033514232_517762267_n.jpg

64510_10200632032914217_806299023_n.jpg

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Interesting concept, and I like the sword blade so far.. So it's looking like a 'viking' blade, and then a full tsuba-tsuka etc?

"Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we are gone, and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved? " - Odysseus, 'Troy'

Personally, I don't approve of hybrids, but a customers wish is our duty :) I am very much interested in how you are going to merge katana and viking style :)

The blade looks very nice, but may I suggest grinding the bevels to the very shoulders?

Btw, I'm guessing that the short wider part right behind the end of the fuller is for riveting over the seated guard, thus holding it on place :) ?

Ondrej, thanks. Still a good bit of grinding to go, not sure where I want the bevels to terminate yet :D. You are correct the secojndary shoulder will be to rivet the guard on, I will also peen the hole tight.

Matt, no no habaki :(.

I spoke with the customer, and he changed the design, no curve, regular auro cross guard similar to a spiked one in a talhoffer picture.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

big one... any tips on how to get the grind lines straight where fuller meets edge bevels (although the fullers I do are generally very different from this type, I still want to know).

cool so far. You are getting some serious skills.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Kevin, just sneak up on the fuller nice and easy with the bevels :D

Working at Baltimore Knife and Sword I do alot of grinding, not necessarily on swords really (I am too slow) but all the grinding of parts and stuff is really helping me with grinding.