Hi everyone,

Today i have made these sketches of two celtic daggers. I have inspired them on several excavated artifacts from the La Tène period.

I haven't been busy with sword designing for long, because i am quite young still, so i would really like to learn and improve.

So if anyone has tips or critics, i'd be happy to recieve them!

Have a lovely day!

Jasper

foto-9.JPG

mixing Fuþark and Celtic eh? I love it. And you're never too young to start (unless you are 12 :lol:, I doubt it) Damn, that's some good sketching, hope to see you put these to steel soon B)

edit: I love being able to near perfectly read runes :P

Edited by Karter Schuster

Hi Karter! Thankyou very much! Well, i'm 16 so i guess i am not too young. I am not able to bring them to steel unfortunately because i have moved away to a very foresty area recently and i haven't got a permanent home yet (living in a vacation house) So obviously the park wouldn't be very happy to hear the banging of a hammer all day haha. I haven't forged yet but i am planning to, so that's why i want to learn as much as possible about the craft already. I hope to build my own forge when i get into a permanent home, which will probably a farmhouse, so lot's of space and no one to disturb!

Thanks,

Jasper

Edited by JasperDielemans

Great sketches! Youve got a good amount of detail in there. Much more than I put into designs normally, but you've reminded me of the importance of being careful and meticulous at every stage of production. First I noticed Gaut's ringchain on the hilt of the sword on the left, then the runes on the right. A little weird but cool.

You're definitely not too young! I started at the age of 13, ableit I had no idea what I was doing :lol:

Those are very competant designs.

Its good to cross polinate from different eras and cultures on art pieces like these.

Do you have any intention of attending any classes to get started in smithing or are you just going to figure it all out by yourself?

there are many people out there offering courses in blade making and blacksmithing in general which can be a real benefit to someone just startin out.

If i may make one recomendation it is this.

these drawings show you have a very good eye for form and have observed originals closely. My suggestion would be to NOT only work within blades. observe decorative metalwork and other crafts in whatever form excites you, find a good general blacksmith who can introduce you to the fundamental skills of hammer control, design etc.

Great sketches! Youve got a good amount of detail in there. Much more than I put into designs normally, but you've reminded me of the importance of being careful and meticulous at every stage of production. First I noticed Gaut's ringchain on the hilt of the sword on the left, then the runes on the right. A little weird but cool.

You're definitely not too young! I started at the age of 13, ableit I had no idea what I was doing :lol:

Hi Luke,

Thank you very much for your compliments! I can tell that you have quite some knowledge about the period i'm working with here. :) I indeed work verymeticulas, in fact i have some other designs, swords in this case that i even made on 1:1 scale, probably because i am quite a perfectionist with sworddesigning and i try to give myself the best impression of what it would look like if i could bring it to steel, so that i can decide whether i am happy with it or now and won't waist time and materials in the end.

13 is indeed young haha! Back then i was already drooling at the swords of Jake Powning and David DelaGardelle. But i never really thought of designing or forging swords myself, until now haha. :)

Enjoy your day!

Those are very competant designs.

Its good to cross polinate from different eras and cultures on art pieces like these.

Do you have any intention of attending any classes to get started in smithing or are you just going to figure it all out by yourself?

there are many people out there offering courses in blade making and blacksmithing in general which can be a real benefit to someone just startin out.

If i may make one recomendation it is this.

these drawings show you have a very good eye for form and have observed originals closely. My suggestion would be to NOT only work within blades. observe decorative metalwork and other crafts in whatever form excites you, find a good general blacksmith who can introduce you to the fundamental skills of hammer control, design etc.

Good day Josh,

I want to thank you for your kind advice! I really appreciate that. :) I would definitely like to get a course in smithing, but there's a slight problem. I live in The Netherlands, right across the North Sea, but smithing isn't a much performed craft at all here, so i think it could be quite hard to find a teacher (although i haven't done much research on that). Anyways that's the issue here in Holland, i wouldn't mind teaching myself though, with a little help from this forum probably.

What you said about putting variety into my smithing interest is a very good point indeed! I am aware that smithing contains more than just blades and i would definitely be interested in other forms of metalwork, for example jewelry or other forms of decoration. I am already experienced in the craft of woodcarving and sculpting, and in leatherworking. So that gives me an advantage with smithing already. :D

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Jasper

Hallo Jasper

There are plenty of blade smiths in The Netherlandds you should have a look among the members here there are a couple who post here regularly, Toni Oostendorp, Erik Markman verder heb je Andrew Jordan, Grudy van Poppel, Ed de Pauw, Thijs van de Manakker, that are only a few I can remember from the top of myn hoofd.

Also there is info@smederijatelieralkmaar.nl they regularly give forging courses there.

There is also a yearly knife show the Dutch Knife Exhibition Googel it

Dus er is genoeg gelegen heid daar

Groetjes Richard

Edited by Richard van Dijk

Hey Richard,

I did know of smederij Alkmaar, i have seen their website. The only problem is that Alkmaar is a two hour drive from where i live, (I live at the border of Holland and Germany,so in the east). If i'd be allowed to have a driverslicense that wouldn't be a big deal, but my parents are definitely not going to drive me all the way and i also am out of money and awaiting approval for a new job. That's the issue with being underaged..

Thank you for clearing it up a little for me! I will definitely do some research to hopefully find some smith who'd teach me closer to where i live.

By the way i noticed your name and the few Dutch words in your comment, are you a next generation of Dutch immigrants that went to New Zealand?

Pleased to meet you :)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jasper

I emigrated to NZ in 1979 and have been living here ever since, I started knife making when there was no one here to teach me, so I tought myself, it is perfectly possible but it takes a lot longer, I also travelled every where where I thought I could learn something and in NZ everything is a lot further than a 2hr car drive, public transport in NL is very good so I can't see a problem with it.

I am sure you can earn a bit of money here and there to do that course if you are motivated enough, not everything in life will be presented on a golden tray.

I also believe there is a smeed museum in Winterswijk and I believe they give courses, I am sure there will be some cost involved though, most smiths went through a lot of hard work to get where they are and most are very generous with their time but there is a limit.

If you can't forge, start reading up, research is easy these days you have it all on your fingertips.

Don't start wantin to make huge swords when starting, start small and build it up, you can do amazing things with a hack saw, drill and a file (that is how I started) and don't expect everything to happen over night.

Richard

Edited by Richard van Dijk

If you have no room to forge, than you can start with stock removal, it may not be as GLORIOUS as forging, but it will help you get good with grinding, filing, sanding, and polishing, the second half to bladesmithing.

and plus, if you get steel from a manufacturer you can have them heat treat it for you for a nominal fee.

a fellow aspiring bladesmith in the netherlands then. i think your drawins are very good, beter as i can do at the least.

i started looking for a blacksmithing tutor when i was 14 and now i am 16 and i already have an almost fully equipped shop, so you are never too young to get started.

as far as getting blacksmithing lesson goes, i think it is a great help if youhave had some blacksmithing training , just to get an idea of the material and its possibilties.

the dutch blacksmiths forum. www.smedentotaal.nl is a great forum full of great people who are always willing to help a new enthousiast.

i am sure that there are some blacksmiths in your neighbourhood that are willing to give you a look around the shop.

hope this helps

I emigrated to NZ in 1979 and have been living here ever since, I started knife making when there was no one here to teach me, so I tought myself, it is perfectly possible but it takes a lot longer, I also travelled every where where I thought I could learn something and in NZ everything is a lot further than a 2hr car drive, public transport in NL is very good so I can't see a problem with it.

I am sure you can earn a bit of money here and there to do that course if you are motivated enough, not everything in life will be presented on a golden tray.

I also believe there is a smeed museum in Winterswijk and I believe they give courses, I am sure there will be some cost involved though, most smiths went through a lot of hard work to get where they are and most are very generous with their time but there is a limit.

If you can't forge, start reading up, research is easy these days you have it all on your fingertips.

Don't start wantin to make huge swords when starting, start small and build it up, you can do amazing things with a hack saw, drill and a file (that is how I started) and don't expect everything to happen over night.

Richard

I see, you live there for quite some time now. :) Winterswijk is indeed much closer, about half an hours drive, thanks. And you're right about not every thing coming on a golden tray. Well i guess in the end they do, but it just takes patience and perseverance. What you said about reading up, I definitely am doing that already. I like to be busy with it and learn about, that's one of the reasons why I became a member of this forum :) Indeed i should start with a knife or a dagger, to keep it simpel. You are also very generous with your time and i thank you for helping me out here!

Jasper

a fellow aspiring bladesmith in the netherlands then. i think your drawins are very good, beter as i can do at the least.

i started looking for a blacksmithing tutor when i was 14 and now i am 16 and i already have an almost fully equipped shop, so you are never too young to get started.

as far as getting blacksmithing lesson goes, i think it is a great help if youhave had some blacksmithing training , just to get an idea of the material and its possibilties.

the dutch blacksmiths forum. www.smedentotaal.nl is a great forum full of great people who are always willing to help a new enthousiast.

i am sure that there are some blacksmiths in your neighbourhood that are willing to give you a look around the shop.

hope this helps

Aah great to hear from someone my age who is more known with smithing in Holland. Thank you for the compliments!

Je zei dat je al bijna een volledige smidse hebt, heb je daar zelf voor gewerkt? Ik heb niet echt een beeld van hoeveel kosten er aan verbonden zijn om een eigen smidse te maken, maar jij kan denk ik wel een beeld geven hoe het is om op deze leeftijd zo'n hobby te hebben. Wil je er iets mee gaan doen later?

www.smedentotaal.nl is een handig forum, ik ga me zeker aanmelden! Ik hoop dat ik inderdaad een smid vind hier in de buurt, ik zou t erg leuk vinden om te beginnen.

Groeten,

Jasper

Edited by JasperDielemans

ik heb het geluk dat mijn leraar, niet alleen smid is maar ook constructiewerker, en toevallig ook nog een aanbeeld had staan. dit aambeeld heb ik gekregen in ruil voor een zomer bij hem werken, waar ik dan geleerd heb te lassen zodat ik mijn eggen remtrommelvuur kon maken, ik heb een lasapparaat moeten kopen voor ongeveer 200 euro, en voor de rest probeer ik mijn gereedschap zoveel mogelijk zelf te maken, zodat ik alleen ijzer hoef te kopen.

groeten pieter-paul

ik heb het geluk dat mijn leraar, niet alleen smid is maar ook constructiewerker, en toevallig ook nog een aanbeeld had staan. dit aambeeld heb ik gekregen in ruil voor een zomer bij hem werken, waar ik dan geleerd heb te lassen zodat ik mijn eggen remtrommelvuur kon maken, ik heb een lasapparaat moeten kopen voor ongeveer 200 euro, en voor de rest probeer ik mijn gereedschap zoveel mogelijk zelf te maken, zodat ik alleen ijzer hoef te kopen.

groeten pieter-paul

Das inderdaad geluk hebben! Ik heb hier vlakbij een kringloop winkel waar ze ook allerlij apparatuur verkopen, waaronder smeedapparatuur en aambeelden tot wel 150 kg. En omdat ze tweedehands zijn, zijn ze maar 100 euro ofzo.

Ik heb me trouwens proberen aan te melden op smedentotaal.nl, maar zodra ik me registreer en op aanmelden klik dan kom ik op een scherm waar staat "dit is de pagina voor geregistreerden" en vervolgens ben ik dan alsnog niet ingelogd.. Heb jij enig idee wat het probleem kan zijn?

Jasper