OK, I'm going to nail my colours to the mast and show a blade I'm making. Not that there is much to show yet - just the rough forged shape. I'm posting in design and critique because I need the critique :D

P1030246_zps4bda86e1.jpg

This is a nice sunobe, but the thickness should taper toward the kissaki, even at this stabe, then you will be able to forge the bevels in.
Do not forget that the final width = sunobe width + sunobe thickness.
The nakago should be aligned to the edge, not to the back at this stage, it will take its definitive shape when forging the bevels.

N24_tsukurikomi%20sunobe.png

Edited by igrec
  • 2 years later...

Thanks Alan, I'm surprised anyone remembers me :)

I had to stop knifemaking because there isn't anywhere suitable at our new house to use my grinder - I converted the one spare room into a little machine shop and I can't have any stray grit in the same area as machine tools, it just gets everywhere. Plus I got really ill a year ago and the doctors initially thought I had cancer - turned out I didn't though...

I rough finished the tanto by hand using a filing jig, which was all kinds of fun....

Just a couple of weeks ago a new friend gave me a place to work where I can install the grinder, so I am back in the game....
Currently I am building a Japanese style box bellows for the forge ( with a lot of help from the same friend ) and have it about 90% finished. The 'click clack' noise from the valves when it's operating is very cool....I'll post pictures once it is finished.

Edit :- Oh, and I grew my hair long, nowadays I look like Willie Nelson :)

Edited by Sid Wittman

One small critique; one of the issues I had when I started doing tanto was making the tips too "chubby"....actual historical tanto have pretty tapered tips. I spend a lot of time on the Nihonto Message board looking at real nihonto, which has helped me change my style sense. You might have a look and see if you want to taper yours a bit more. Saludos!

• 2 weeks later...

One small critique; one of the issues I had when I started doing tanto was making the tips too "chubby"....actual historical tanto have pretty tapered tips. I spend a lot of time on the Nihonto Message board looking at real nihonto, which has helped me change my style sense. You might have a look and see if you want to taper yours a bit more. Saludos!

Thanks Steve missed your comment - I'm not sure about the taper, there don't seem to be too many pictures of the spines of tanto on the web, it's something that I have been worrying about just a little. As the blade is now ( ready for cracking, sorry heat treat :D ) it tapers down fairly evenly from about 1\3 of the length in front of the tang.

At the tang it's just over 5mm wide, at the tip 3mm. If anything I'm wondering if it's a bit too slim to be an authentic shape.

I'll have to check out the Nihonto message board.

I am speaking not of the taper of the spine, but of the rounded portion below the tip as it transitions to the straighter part of the cutting edge. Good luck with the hardening!

• Like 1