Getting into some beginner engraving, so I want a nice ball vise but WOW 500-600$ is alot to spend, so I went to the local bowling alley and got an old ball and have this here little vice I will make into one.

733976_10200789526571460_1841651189_n.jp

67000_10200789985262927_876487729_n.jpg

Wow that thing will be Awesome .

Sam

Edited by Samcro

You have gotten exactly as far as I have with my version of that! :lol: My bowling ball is maroon, though. At least you have Kerry's big bandsaw to cut it in two. It won't fit on my little metal saw, I'm afraid to put it on the wood bandsaw, and I'm too lazy to take a hand saw to it at present. :rolleyes:

Alan I was in the same position when I made one, so I ended up grinding away about 1/3 or so to make a nice flat surface. Soft stuff, went faster than I expected. I used a a big disk grinder.

I thought about immobilizing it in a wooden frame and then taking it to the bandsaw, but that seemed like too much trouble. ;)

Having made one too I guess I'll weigh in. Before mounting my vise I cored several holes with a 1" speedbore type bit and poured in lead shot like the kind for reloading shotgun shells, but you could use old wheel weights or nothing at all I just thought the extra weight may help. The other thing I did was steal an idea from somebody else and make a swivel base for it by welding a ring of 1/8" by 1" to a piece of sheet, then pouring in some auto body bondo, place a sheet of plastic over that and set the ball on it to harden. Afterward I covered that with some deer hide I had laying around so it would have some drag. Come to think of it now that I have an engravers ball maybe I should load it in the truck to sell at Fire and Brimstone!?

Slainte'

Denis

I've been planning the same thing for a few years, my bowling ball is purple sparkle though. I plan to use a ring gear from my 4runner for a swivel base. That is, the one that I took out and replaced already...

Maybe watching you do this will get me to finish mine. Good luck!

A ball of uranium would be a very dangerous and short lived object.

I have a really nice 16 lb vulcanite ball that I've been meaning to cut. I have too much fun bowling for cats though.

That one might be urethane?

This works well for smaller things like folding knife handles. It's the top of a jewelers peg, or pin, vise. They come screwed onto a wooden handle. I drilled a hole in the bowling ball and epoxied in a bolt so the peg vise can be taken on and off.

J

JDWARE KNIVES

IMG_7496.JPG

I cut a bowling ball in ~ 1/2 with a circular saw and the flattened it with a belt sander. I will soon be setting it up with some pitch to try and learn basic repousse' and chasing. I have it sitting in a go-kart type tire to steady it. Not quite the same, but similar idea as to what is posted above.