Sign in to follow this  
Daniel J. Luevano

Wax and sand for lost wax casting

I'm getting into casting fittings for sheaths and blades and I just wanted to know where I can get some wax for carving and where I can find a recipe for casting sand. If anyone can help that would be great!

P.S. I live in Colorado

I recently did some considerable work in this, and can tell you that what you probably want to do, is carve your master in something firm and easy to give a good finish to, then make a silicone mold of it, then pour a softer wax into that for better burn-out when you go to do it... I used the pink casting wax flakes from Rio Grande for that. Also, I prefer a cured mold over sand, and use Satin Cast 20 for that purpose.

Good luck!

Mr' Price's advise is great!

You can also check out http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php for all things metal casting. Great guys and tons of knowledge.

Simple green sand recipe is 9 parts sand, 1 part bentonite clay, 1 part water, by weight. up to 2 parts clay if needed depends on the clay and sand size. This is not for use with wax in any way.

Casting sand and lost wax are two different things. You use casting sand for hard models to make imprints. Casting sand is ready for casting right away, no firing needed (or possible). For wax, you need a refractory to make the mould. This needs to be dried, fired etc. That's a lot more involved, and requires a lot more skill (some required skill can be replaced by investing in equipment, but can end up pretty pricy). Casting sand is therefore much easier to start with. The downside is, you need to be able to take the model out, so the shapes are more limited. There are very fine casting sands (petrobond, delft earth), which allow almost so much detail you can cast fingerprints.