Antoine

On blowers

Hello,

My blower died on me.

What do you guys suggest as a replacement? Idealy I'd like a blower as quiet as possible (no vacuum cleaner please!).

Can be brand new, but are there relaiable option on recuperated ones?

Thank's all!

Antoine

https://www.servicetechllc.com/node/237

this one is nearly identical to my blower,(mine didn't come with a damper) which has definitely been worth its cost. It's very nice and quiet. the air is sometimes louder than the motor. I'm not sure what the requirements of your forge are though. If its charcoal this one would be plenty ( mine is seldom more than half open), probably also fine for a blow gas forge, a coal fire might need a bit more depending on size.

Thank's Morgan,

I'm looking for a blower for bloom furnace; not sur this one will do, I'm worried about static pressure.

Opinions?

Antoine

Antoine (and the rest of you)

I finally got myself one of the 'Rockbridge Bloomery Official Approved Kick-Ass Blowers' - The same one you will see Lee and Skip using.

I put up a full description on my own blog :

http://www.73.com/a/0701.shtml
50CFM 115VAC/60HZ BLOWER
50 CFM BLOWER AMETEK #116246-04.
Motor
is rated 115 VAC 1.9 amps60Hz / 3450 rpm. Ball bearing. Continuous
duty. Thermally protected. Five-stage centrifugal design. The blower
will move 50 cfm
of air at 0" of water-static pressure. Vacuum rating is 10 cfm at 16" of
water-vacuum.
Circular inlet has a 1.675" I.D. and a 1-3/4" O.D.
The circular outlet has a 1.6" I.D. and a 1-3/4" O.D.
A rectangular mounting foot is located on the bottom of the circular fan body. The
foot
is 3-3/4" wide x 2-1/2" deep. Four tapped mounting holes are located in
the corners of the foot The holes are tapped 1/4"X20 tpi. The hole
centers are 1-3/4" apart (front to rear)and are 3" apart side to side)
(includes starting capacitor).
Dimensions:9-3/4" wide x 9" deep (front to back) x 10" high.
RFE $119.00 Ea.

That list price is in US funds, and does not include shipping.

That particular source does not ship into Canada. I arranged to have mine drip shipped (with Lee) and picked it up later when I was down there.

These are excellent units - and worth every dime!

Darrell

• Haha 1

I have the 164 CFM blower Geoff linked above. It's fine for a forge, but cannot handle back pressure at all, so I have my doubts about its suitability for a furnace. Despite the description, they are NOT true vane-type centrifugal blowers, they're just standard squirrel-cage fans in a pressure blower housing. Any back pressure at all and they just blow back through the intake.

Thank you Darrell!

Are those the ones you are talking about?

Ametek

If so I'll look into a distributor....

Antoine

I use a 29$ Lowe's/home depot vac. With 35 ft of pool hose.
At the stack, you can barely hear the vac. Put it around the corner, or cover it with a trash can, that can breath a bit, and you can't hear it at all.
I have to run it on 90%+ open valve. So, it has plenty of power/vol/speed
I buy the 4$ life insurance policy on it, and just go get a new one if it dies.
They usually last about 15+/ 4+hr smelts.

Plus it is a shop vac if you need it to be. very hard to beat that deal!!!

Mark

If you're looking for a blower, I also suggest like Mark said, and look for a shop vac. They will produce more static pressure than an ordinary squirel cage blower. I just bought a 2 stage industrial vacuum motor with a tangental outlet. It will make close to 3 psi when deadheaded, probably overkill, but its ball bearing and should last a good long time

I got a bounce house blower off Ebay for $60 plus shipping. It came ready to plug and play. All I had to do was to figure out how to attach it to the burners and I solved that with some 1 1/2" plastic hose, the kind use to direct water away from a house, and what looked liked rubber reducing connectors with ratchet bands to tighten them. A rubber sleeve with ratchet bands holds the hose onto the 1 1/2" pipe on the burners and allows me to easily switch the hose from one burner to the other. I have to use a gate valve on the burners to reduce the air flow and there's plenty of pressure.

Doug

I tried a bouncy castle blower once, didn't work very well. It's big, but still a squirrel cage style, doesn't deal with the backpressure of a stack full of burning charcoal very well.

A vacuum type blower is really best. Unfortunately, the choices seem to be cheao and noisy, or expensive and quiet.

Or electrify bellows. Or put a trompe on a pump like Miquel did?

+1 on the bouncy house blower not working well for stack smelting. I stopped a smelt partway through, started with a bounce house blower and things, didn't seem right, switched to my cheap vacuum motor and it started to behave well.

The trompe is something I'm gonna have to try, now just to find a cheap high volume water pump that can push water up to the top of it :)

Thank's guys,

Good to know about the bouncy house blower, I was looking into thoses!

The electrified bellow could be interesting, wasn't it Darrell that made some kind of mecanical contraption for bellows, it was pretty neat!

The trompe is very nice, but I'd rather have something I can move around....

There is a good vacuum repair shop nearby, I'll check what they have.

What about spa blowers? Blowing air in water might need some good pressure... There are a lot of them fairly cheap on local ads...

Antoine

Hi All,

The Ametek brushless AC blowers are the best. This type on Ebay is what you're looking for. 3 available!

They also make DC brushless blowers that are variable speed but they usually have a bit of a whine (like this ). Yes they can run on AC, the electronics inside are the DC part. Make sure that you buy the power type(AC/DC) and voltage that you need. I do have the details to utilize the variable speed on this type blower if anyone needs it.

Search Ebay for Ametek Windjammer for more examples.

Side channel blowers, also known as regenerative blowers are nice.

They look different to most centrifugal blowers, having the inlet and outlet close together on the outside of the casing. It's worth googling them to understand how they work; if I try to explain, people will go all glassy-eyed and nod off.

Small ones are usually built with the motor integral and the motor is pretty much a standard 2-pole industrial motor except for the drive-end casing which forms part of the blower casing. This means the motor runs at around 3500 RPM and the whole thing is nice and quiet.

The performance curve is interesting and gives high pressure at low flow. Because of the way they work, the maximum pressure is much higher than a normal centrifugal blower of similar size and RPM can manage.

Flow control on a fixed-speed side-channel blower is best done by bleeding off surplus flow, rather than by throttling the output. Throttling the output causes the pressure to rise and actually increases the power consumption. If throttling is unavoidable, it can be done on the suction side. I think throttling is probably good for a smelt, as the pressure rises if the tuyere becomes partially obstructed, so the reduction in airflow seems to be less than it would be if a "normal" centrifugal fan was used.

Owen Bush has a nice little Elmo Reitschle unit which I've seen used on a couple of smelts. It seems to work very well. I think it's one of these:

http://www.gd-elmorietschle.com/uploadedfiles/elmo-rietschle/downloads/content_g/dabl/2bh1300_en.pdf

On 60 Hz mains, peak pressure at around 150 mbar is about 2.2 PSI and peak flow at 100 M3/hr is about 60 CFM.

Anyone looking for a blower in the UK might be interested in this supplier:

http://www.fansandspares.co.uk/shop/product/5514-elmo-g-2bh1300-7aa11-side-channel-pump--compresser

Although the maximum flow seems quite low compared to simple centrifugal types, the pressure/flow curve means that the side-channel units tend to have higher flows when used with typical tuyeres, which have smaller areas than the discharge ports of the blowers they are often used with. Larger units are obviously available as well, if more pressure/flow is needed.

Some of the manufacturers that spring to mind are Nash/Elmo/Reitschle, Rotron, Gast, Becker. I have a UniJet 75, which I think is made by Cattani and marketed as a dental dry suction pump. It was listed on ebay as a vacuum pump. Among the other applications I've seen for small side-channel blowers are air knives for drying and spa blowers.

New prices are generally high enough to rule them out for our applications. Secondhand prices are quite reasonable, at least in the UK, but they don't seem to come up all that often.

did some googling on side-channel blowers ( aka ring blower, and several other names )...only found some partial explanations on how they work...very interesting IIRC there's a type of turbine that works the same way - by swirling the fluid past turbine blades several times

Antoine (and the rest of you)

I finally got myself one of the 'Rockbridge Bloomery Official Approved Kick-Ass Blowers' - The same one you will see Lee and Skip using.

I put up a full description on my own blog :

http://www.73.com/a/0701.shtml

50CFM 115VAC/60HZ BLOWER

50 CFM BLOWER AMETEK #116246-04.

Motor

is rated 115 VAC 1.9 amps60Hz / 3450 rpm. Ball bearing. Continuous

duty. Thermally protected. Five-stage centrifugal design. The blower

will move 50 cfm

of air at 0" of water-static pressure. Vacuum rating is 10 cfm at 16" of

water-vacuum.

Circular inlet has a 1.675" I.D. and a 1-3/4" O.D.

The circular outlet has a 1.6" I.D. and a 1-3/4" O.D.

A rectangular mounting foot is located on the bottom of the circular fan body. The

foot

is 3-3/4" wide x 2-1/2" deep. Four tapped mounting holes are located in

the corners of the foot The holes are tapped 1/4"X20 tpi. The hole

centers are 1-3/4" apart (front to rear)and are 3" apart side to side)

(includes starting capacitor).

Dimensions:9-3/4" wide x 9" deep (front to back) x 10" high.

RFE $119.00 Ea.

That list price is in US funds, and does not include shipping.

That particular source does not ship into Canada. I arranged to have mine drip shipped (with Lee) and picked it up later when I was down there.

These are excellent units - and worth every dime!

Darrell

Darrell; I clicked on the blog link and my security system caught a trojan rider on the link

just thought you should get a heads up about it .....

you know, if you feel a little crafty, you can try to build you own pair of bellows. I know it seems archaic and primitive, but the advantages are they don't require electricity, are easy to repair, and fairly cheap to build. You can build a pair by taking two heavy plastic bags (rock salt bags are my suggestion) taping a couple of dowel rods to the top of each bag, cutting a hole in one corner of each bag, then taping a metal pipe into each hole. Then its a simple task of attaching those pipes to you main tuyere and pumping the air with the bags by pressing down and pulling up on each bag. With some minor practice you will have a continuous air flow with a surprising amount of force (I watched a leather made pair blow the fire out of a pot forge.) Now I am by no means a expert, but i believe this is one way we did it before electricity and it worked just fine. Let me repeat, I am not an expert. This is merely the limited wisdom of a young fool.

I would really recomend the side channel blowers I will look up the spec on mine.

They are incredably industrial, quiet and the pressure is a real bonus.

We have also had good luck with bouncy castle blowers, the trick with them is to allow a decent air resevoir in large 6 inch tubing or bigger 6 foot or more this allows a pressure build up or momentum of moving air and gives much much better pressure performance. We then run an air gate past the resevoir chamber.

Running them in small tubing kills their air completly.

I bough 3 hp side channel blower on ebay by accident ( it looked a lot smaller in the piccie) which would run a big tatara nicely.

This next week I am making a bellows frame for my double action bellows.

Edited by owen bush