Matthew Parkinson

viking show

any one know who did the swords for the new show? the axes look right and the seaxs lok good (other than All being broken back seaxs ....) but the sword all look like the grips are 2-3" to long they look good other wise , seems odd as the sets and other props look like a good deal of care was taken for them to look correct.

MP

I can't think of much in that show I'd care to call accurate, tbh... Hair, garments, garment coloring, shields, steering board, boat construction being done by one man in apparently weeks, the Jarl and all his actions, the Thing, etc... The monastery was also rather small and poor compared to what it likely was.

That said, I've not heard who did the swords. Doesn't seem any of the bigger named companies were involved at all.

Edited by Jeremy Hart

I haven't been impressed at all with the show. I haven't gotten a good look at the weapons.. but the clothes are awful. I did read on myArmoury that the hair is apparently accurate for the main character and his son.

I could actually live with all the inaccuracies if it had better writing and actors. Gabriel Byrne is a normally a great actor.. but his personality is dead and he is too evil.

The hair is accurate, but 200-300 years early. The haircuts sported are Norman 'cocks comb' cuts, as I was told.

Apparently even the headbands worn to the Thing were accurate, but wouldn't have been worn with such short hair.

the whole show is an odd mix of correct and totaly off. I will admit i got sucked into it a bit ....

the clothing from what I know is somewhat correct , just wildly off on colors. I really dig how they are showing the gods as a real and viserual part of the lives of the northman.

As I recall from The Archaeology of Weapons swords of that period did seem to have small grips and flipping through Swords of the Viking Age most of the grips listed were around 3-4" in length.

Doug

So I'm now sucked in. I still hate the clothes and am not thrilled with the 'shield maiden'.. but I was impressed with battle with the saxons on the beach. I thought they did a good job showing battle with shields...

The blades make me want to vomit but its... tolerable