• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Kelso

John Paul Miller: preeminent goldsmith

John Paul Miller, one of America's preeminent goldsmiths passed recently at the age of 94.

He is generally credited with rediscovering the ancient Egyptian technique of granulation in the 50s, and certainly a seminal figure in the American art-jewelry field. Granulation is fusion bonding of gold achieved with the use of specific high-karat alloys and specialized reducing atmosphere aided by organic oxygen-eating agents.

John Paul used granulation to stunning effect, using the usual spheres but also geometric shapes fused as components of the design. His pieces, using granulation along with masterful enameling, were awe inspiring combinations of technique and imagination.

I had the pleasure to meet both John Paul and his friend Fred Miller(no relation) some years ago when Jean curated a show including his work. They came to visit and we had quite a fine afternoon together. I remember him being very soft-spoken and modest in light of his accomplishments.

If you do a google image search you will find an extraordinary body of work.

John Paul Miller.jpg

9094836large.jpg

JohnPaulMiller1.jpg

JohnPaulMiller2.jpg

Edited by Jim Kelso

Thanks for posting this Jim. I had not heard of Miller before. His work is very very beautiful. I found a short video about him - he seemed like a good person, deeply involved in his work and his teaching. I wish that I had known of him earlier.

J

JDWARE KNIVES

Thank you Jim.
I was not aware of this man and his work. I am sad to hear he has passed away but glad I can now start to learn about his art. I yearn for such beauty.

There is no catalog of his work..no book...no record.

RIc

Thanks guys. John Paul had pretty much made his career by the early 60s so seemingly had little need to be much involved with the heightened craft energy of the late 60s on, other than creating his work and teaching. It is a shame there is no monograph (that I know of) on his extensive body of work that, in my opinion, equals that of any historical goldsmith in technical mastery, design and especially imagination. It's clear that it was his work and teaching that mattered most to him, not notoriety. He is of course well-known within the jewelry community, but not so much beyond that.

John Paul shows up in numerous catalogues of group shows over the years. Also there is a detailed demo of granulation or fusion-bonding by John Paul in Oppi Untracht's book: Jewelry Concepts and Technology.

Here is a great page with an interesting bio, some other photos and a revealing video well worth watching.

http://clevelandartsprize.org/awardees/john_paul_miller.html

Thanks for sharing that Jim. I became familiar with Johns work sometime last year. I will be forever blown away by his insects.