Well, I scribbled this up today and rather like it.

Rime Fang.jpg

Hoping to use wrought for the body, with 1095 for the spike and cutting edge. Not sure what the final dimensions will be, but I assume we're wanting smaller tomahawks or hand axes.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Freya

That is cool, I'm trying to picture that done. I think this KITH is going to be a lot of fun!!!

Kip

Cool i'm still trying to wrap my head around an idea for this one. My son wants me to go for a 5 bar twist counter twist composite socketed spear head. Any suggestions?

Fred

Freya

That is cool, I'm trying to picture that done. I think this KITH is going to be a lot of fun!!!

Kip

Yeah, I'm really excited about this project. Still trying to devise a way to punch and drift through both sides of the axe body to get that split effect

Cool i'm still trying to wrap my head around an idea for this one. My son wants me to go for a 5 bar twist counter twist composite socketed spear head. Any suggestions?

Fred

I say go for it. My pattern welding skills so far are subpar so I can't really give any advice on that part, heh.

That is a really neat idea, I think that would be a noble effort. That eye is really intriguing. I say go for it!

John

Freya

Don't hate me but if you put an eyeball at the bottom of the center eye you could call it the pissed of chicken!!! :rolleyes::angry::)

Kip

That is a really neat idea, I think that would be a noble effort. That eye is really intriguing. I say go for it!

John

Yours is really cool as well, I say you should go with your plan of just carving it out of the steel if you want it to be functional.

Freya

Don't hate me but if you put an eyeball at the bottom of the center eye you could call it the pissed of chicken!!! :rolleyes::angry::)

Kip

Oh great, now I can't un-see that! :rolleyes::lol:

Love the idea for that center eye. That will look awesome when it's done. Now I'm all excited, as this is my first KITH!

Yours is really cool as well, I say you should go with your plan of just carving it out of the steel if you want it to be functional.

Oh great, now I can't un-see that! :rolleyes::lol:

Freya

I love the design I think I would forge it solid and grind the eye out that way you can have a crisp line on the inside. Also because I don't have enough smith time to tell you how to forge it. If you do find a way to forge it let me know. Stick with the design man it's way cool.

Kip

Freya

I love the design I think I would forge it solid and grind the eye out that way you can have a crisp line on the inside. Also because I don't have enough smith time to tell you how to forge it. If you do find a way to forge it let me know. Stick with the design man it's way cool.

Kip

My current plan is to try to hot punch through both sides and open up the cuts slightly, then turn it on end and "upset" so the four bars spread out. Then clean the it all up with the bick. I expect I'll have to do a bit of file work to get everything perfect. Figure I'd need to do it after I get the high carbon bits welded in.

Well today was going to be my first day of work on this sucker. But sadly, none of my dwindling supply of wrought is big enough for the axe body.

So I have three options.

1. There was a website that was selling wrought iron anchor chain links. BIG ones. I just can't for the life of me find the website. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please lemme know.

2. Cut one of my 1/2" bars of wrought down into four pieces and weld those together on the ends, but leaving the eyes open and just drift those out. That would of course, make upsetting and slitting the area for the tool steel bit to be welded in a rather tricky operation.

3. use a 1"x1" bar of mild steel that I've got for the axe body instead of wrought. Even though I was set on having a nice grain from the wrought.

I think that he is a member of this forum, he sells forge making supplies too!

Here is the link for the anchor links http://www.hightemptools.com/wroughtiron.html

Cool design!

Ah hah! That's exactly the site I was looking for. Thank you very much

Progress is moving along on this one, chances are I'll be a little late to finish because of a few mishaps along the way. But it WILL be finished. I'll post photos from building it once I'm done, there will be a video about it as well

It seems fate continues to conspire against me. Due to a considerable injury to my left hand earlier today, I'm going to be out of commission for probably a week. So this piece is going to be late. BUT! Because of how close it is to completion (I have to finish filing, sanding and heat treating then it's pretty much done) I will have it complete as soon as possible

I realized I didn't really give an adequate explanation of what happened <_<

While annealing this axe, i decided to utilize the time and make a new leather hole punch. I was drilling out the end of a piece of O1 round stock, and as I went to reach for the spray can of cutting lube, the rod slipped in the vice, send the drill bit directly into the webbing between my thumb and forefinger on the left hand. Luckily, there was virtually no muscle damage or nerve damage since the bit went under the skin at the luckiest angle imaginable. But let this be the warning to you all, when performing delicate drilling operations such as this, make sure your vice isn't covered in all manner of lubricating oils you'd often find in a knifeshop.

Luckily as well, the wound is healing rapidly, and I should be back to work in less than a week.

Rimefang is finally done! It's sitting in the oven tempering as I type this, pictures will be up tomorrow. I was certain I had a piece of hickory for the haft, but I suppose not, I have a nice plank of mystery hard wood (I'm no good at identifying wood types) unless the person who gets this piece would like to haft it for themselves.

100_4657.JPG

Alright, she's done now! Final photo will be up tomorrow once the haft finishes soaking in the linseed. I'm working on editing together the video as I type this