Finally an update! Albeit on a more somber note. I was having difficulty forge welding the 5160 onto the back half of the billet and the front half fought my the whole way. I had started to forge weld a new piece on, but the last three inches near the tang had gotten under a 1/4 inch thick and kept buckling every time I tried to weld it and popped the weld. After the 10th attempt to weld the back I decided to cut my losses and turned the good portion into a medium sized broad seax. The new blade measures a total of about 18 inches long with a 12 inch blade. I was able to snap some photos of the pattern starting to emerge on this one and I'm happier with it. So I'm considering having this being a companion blade to the larger sword which I am going to reattempt on Monday.

IMG_6820_zpsbcbee981.jpg

I was able to do a bit more grinding today and do a test etch, even though I wish the pattern was more consistent I think that this blade will have a lot of character.

IMG_20130329_144924_zps3665346c.jpg

Thanks Luke! I starting to get pretty excited :) I think for the sword I am going to do a continuous star pattern with two bars and I'm using 1/2 inch W2 bar for the edge. I can't wait for the mail to arrive!

I often don't get to pay as much attention to this thread as I would like throughout this process so I took the time to make a blog where most of the "talking" on my end will be as well as my venting of frustrations throughout the project and I will just share the photos and facts here. Here is a link to the blog if anyone would like to check it out. Thanks for reading! http://www.wildernessironworks.org/apps/blog/the-crafting-of-thorgrim-exploring-the-traditional

I finally have a legitimate update! Woohoo! And boy am I tired... Yesterday I forged the sword and am now the proud owner of a sword shaped bar of steel! I wasn't able to take many photos along the way, but I think I've already posted too many in progress photos without getting to some blade action don't you agree? This sword was different though I had one day to forge it from start to finish so I had to figure out the fastest way that I could pattern weld such a large piece with just my little hand hammer. So I started with 24 inch long billets! Suffice to say that this plus just doing a continuous twist throughout the bar made the whole process a lot easier. I only had one weld pop open on me during the whole process and that was a simple enough fix. Now I just have to grind it to make sure everything is good (cross your fingers). Here is what I ended up with; 31 inches overall 25 or so inches of blade and 2 inches wide. This took me 7.5 continuous hours to forge minus a 20 minute lunch break... suffice to say I'm exhausted and my joints are protesting loudly despite being a youngin :) There is still a tweak in the tang I have to fix but that will be simple enough....onto the grinder today!

IMG_20130403_190235 (1).jpg

I know that people have mostly stopped replying to this thread, but I will continue to post new updates here regardless..hopefully the information is helpful :) So today I was able to get most of the grinding done and will be quenching it tonight (So prayer time). But I did a quick etch (I can't resist) and got my first glimpse of the pattern. More photos to come this evening...thanks for looking!

IMG_6872_zpsd7b2d983.jpg

IMG_6876_zps84d5d11c.jpg

We're watching and waiting, man! Nice to see you getting stuff made, especially with a hand hammer! I recommend making a simple press from an air over hydraulic press. Me and my friend built one and its a big help with stuff like this. I'm working on a multi-bar super-sax/sword right now too, so watching your progress is really inspiring. :)

Robert I'm still following too! :D Same as luke it's made me wanna make a big multi bar again! Even finnaly ordered a bunch of steel!

Keep at it, you look like your coming along and getting closer to what you want.

my little bit of advice, and this took me some time befor I learnt this is to slow down and take your time alittle more. When we work tried we tend to make more mistakes, take shortcuts or make bad decision's... take can ruin your whole days work. And some billets and welds can only be worked so fast, even with a hand hammer. multi bar swords are a labor of love ;) but I'm gonna start rambling... so other then that it looks great, really hoping it survives the quench!

Keep posting!

-mike

Edited by MLenaghan

Thanks for the encouragement guys it helps a lot! I have good news too...it survived the quench with only thee slightest warp...thankfully I left enough material that it should come out in the final grind. Although as you said about rushing things...my mistake today was that it wasn't until I was heating it up for the quench and was almost at critical temp that I realized I wasn't wearing my welding gloves...oops (suffice to say that the oil got a bit warm) :wacko: Here are some photos from the evening...my fiance was kind enough to join me and try out shaping a puukko handle :D

IMG_6902_zps573f1020.jpg

IMG_6921_zpsd89f6c81.jpg

IMG_6934_zpscddb54b0.jpg

IMG_6947_zps9c187ba8.jpg

Notice my elation at forging my first sword :P

IMG_6951_zpsec46798f.jpg

And back to business...

IMG_6967_zps2387b544.jpg

Just a quick update...I finished the blade today and started carving the space for the blade on the sheath (made from a lovely piece of walnut) and started laying out the parts for the grip, guard, and pommel. I have to say this blade feels wicked already considering how heavy it was originally I swear it went on a crash course diet through this whole process...anyway here are some photos from the day.

IMG_6974_zps231ff088.jpg

IMG_6973_zps090e12d8.jpg

IMG_6987_zps37a40d67.jpg

Here is a photo of the little seax and the sword together. I'm still fiddling with the pattern on the little guy.

IMG_6990_zps5902003e.jpg

I think from now on I will tell people that the secret to making swords is nutella ;)

IMG_6991_zps32ba7662.jpg

IMG_6993_zps7381ff73.jpg

IMG_6996_zps06060dd1.jpg

Great work so far Robert! I see you really enjoy your first sword haha, as you should :P

Go on like this and it will be amazing!

Here is today's update...I was able to finish carving the inside of the sheath, glue it up and start shaping it. I was also able to forge/grind the pommel and get the other guard material prepped. I used 1/8 inch brass plate and stainless steel alternating so brass, steel, brass resulting in a 1/2 inch thick bar. I then drilled 3/16 inch holes, popped in two copper pins and spread the copper, and ground flush...it kind of feels like a nugget of treasure :) The wood you see in the pictures isn't the actual piece that will be the handle but it is from the same block of wood (Indian rosewood) and the sheath is walnut.

IMG_6997_zpsbc3f8de3.jpg

IMG_6998_zpsebfc661e.jpg

IMG_7002_zpse341519b.jpg

IMG_7003_zpse8e42638.jpg

IMG_7004_zps8e329fe6.jpg

IMG_6999_zpscf8e031a.jpg

IMG_7001_zpsfcc4c039.jpg

This has been very fun and inspirational to watch.
Big congrats Robert!! Great looking set of blades.

I'm just now working on my first, full length early period sword. Your posts have givin me courage, and hope.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

This is great to see!

I really appreciate the photos of your excitement and joy after heat treat.

You powered your way through this one. Looking forward to see where this path will lead you next.

Keep up the good work!

This is great to see!

I really appreciate the photos of your excitement and joy after heat treat.

You powered your way through this one. Looking forward to see where this path will lead you next.

Keep up the good work!

My sentiments exactly. :D There's no feeling quite like that, is there? B)

It's true there isn't a feeling quite to match it! :) Here is some progress from today, I got the handle fitted and now just for the final shaping and then assembly.

902546_579697522054798_1090146131_o.jpg

A quick mini update...I started carving the sheath tonight overall I thick I'll be pleased with the end result. I've never done any real carving before so it is definitely a learning experience!

524817_579784778712739_209288424_n.jpg

Edited by Robert Burns

Thanks Carter! So today I finished assembly on the sword still have some cleaning up to do plus some burning on the handle. I kept working on the sheath today and noticed some separation between the two board so I split them and they are now setting for another night....should finish it up early tomorrow. Over all I feel okay about this sword...it performs just fine and it feels great to hold but I'm just not in love with it...is that normal?? :wacko: I'd like to do cast bronze fittings on the next one...but I'm having some neat ideas for the sheath for tomorrow I'll let you guys know how it goes.

IMG_7031_zps1f78d56b.jpg

IMG_7034_zps1d12725e.jpg

IMG_7037_zps2e023eb7.jpg

She is finally all done...I am proud to present Thorgim! Overall I'm fairly happy with how it turned out but I'm already picturing the next one :blink: I wanted it to have the feeling of something that had been unearthed after many years of neglect and a long life of service. I think it worked well :)

IMG_7050_zpse18b6e9e.jpg

IMG_7047_zps8543562b.jpg

IMG_7056_zps6e7c7e93.jpg