Sign in to follow this  
Luke Shearer

First friction folder

Finished this some time last week. I encountered a few problems, but it was easier than I thought and will be making more fiction folders. Its my new personal edc. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this knife making thing B)

Materials are curly oak I was given by Dave DellaGardelle, 1075, and unrolled copper plumbing pipe. Pretty useful little knife. The tail I forged a little too thick, so it has to wedge tightly between the liners. I was somewhat annoyed with it at first, but I actually find it quite useful now because it locks the blade in place pretty securely when open.

I took a bunch of pictures from multiple angles as usual because I feel it gives a better impression of the knife.

friction folder2.jpg

friction folder.jpg

friction folder1.jpg

friction folder5.jpg

friction folder4.jpg

friction folde5r.jpg

Sweet dude! I love the way you used the tiger pattern of the burl, especially in the top view. Good work!

Very nice. Friction folders are great.

Great job. I am a folder fan .. Very addictive things

Luke,

that is a good looking little knife. I am impressed. Friction folders seem like a suitable challenge, too.

Do you plan to dye the scales or leave them as is. They are from very pretty wood.

thanks for showing us.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

I like the look. Pleasing to the eye yet not too "busy." A great job Luke!

Thanks guys,

The oak is really nice. It kinda looks like sheep horn. Dave has all kinds of cool wood lying around his shop and was kind enough to give me a couple of scales of this stuff.

I have some oak that looks a little like that, and I died it with aqua fortis. It came out really nice. In fact, it really surprised me. If you have more, you should give it a try. Check it out:

IMG_0684.JPG

Hey Kevin,

That hamon is wild!

I am somewhat philosophically opposed to staining wood... :rolleyes: I feel like there are so many types of woods available that there's no need to modify the color unnaturally...Just use a different wood if you're after a different color. I am usually satisfied (to say the least) with the character of undyed wood.

Thanks for the idea though!