Broad Seax WIP

Jake Powning

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh... So much artistry and skill. :)

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

Hm didn't load, I'll try again.

attachicon.gifDSC_7017.jpg

Even the rivets are cool... :)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Ok this piece is finished. I've writen a blog post about it Dwine - Broadseax two actually- (this one is really more about spring, but it has some casting from this project in it) The Birds Know and here are some pictures.dwine6.jpg

dwine7.jpg

dwine8.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it keeps me going.

Inspiring work, Jake! I've never seen oak used on a museum-quality blade before, but by god you pulled it off!

I loved your blog notes on why you chose it as a handle material.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

You hear this all the time (from me, and others) but you are insanely inspiring. Not just from an artistic perspective, but the stuff you make inevitably makes me feel like I just finished a good story. They make me want to carry a sword instead of a walking stick. I think part of the reason for that is that you are a never ending wellspring of creativity. These objects are all coming from the same craftsman, but they are always so new and fresh. Its almost refreshing how strange each new thing that comes from you is. Yet another masterpiece plucked from the Tree of Tales!

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

You hear this all the time (from me, and others) but you are insanely inspiring. Not just from an artistic perspective, but the stuff you make inevitably makes me feel like I just finished a good story. They make me want to carry a sword instead of a walking stick. I think part of the reason for that is that you are a never ending wellspring of creativity. These objects are all coming from the same craftsman, but they are always so new and fresh. Its almost refreshing how strange each new thing that comes from you is. Yet another masterpiece plucked from the Tree of Tales!

Well said, Luke!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Wow.

Stunned and delighted here....

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I find myself just staring at these pics....such a fine piece of work! The face fading from one thing to another is really cool. I'm so glad you made another seax.

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

Awesome Jake theres not much to say that hasn't already been said. Thanks for taking the time!!!

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ www.thekaisercustomknives.com

It has everything I expected from you, masterclass combination of historical knowledge, creativity and smithing skills!

Thank you for sharing!

I know you hear this a lot, but you are a truly amazing artist. You take steel, wood, and bronze and make them into poetry. Each of your blades tells a story. The level of craftsmanship and attention to detail are top notch. You are a storyteller of the highest order. Thank you for your inspiring work.

Absolutely incredible. I don't think I can say it any better than anyone here, and I really don't want to try. I just want to say that this is the kind of artistry that I think inspires people and reminds them of what it means to be nostalgic. It reminds them of the parts in history books that made such a profound impression that they felt like, just maybe, we are already living in a fantasy world. Thank you. I'm sure a lot of us miss that feeling sometimes. :)

The leather work is fantastic. Do you form fit the leather then put a form inside to do all the tool work? I'm looking to do something along those lines just not nearly as detailed.

I had to jump back in and edit this post because I obviously missed the finished photos. They are amazing. The level of detail is something I can only hope to achieve.

Edited by Ryan Ladurantaye