Anyone have a stabilizing resin formula?

Gary LT

Fellas,

I have a small need right now to treated some birch bark on a few handle I've made. Heating the bark was done, I simply want a clear, colorable, mixture that will harden to protect even though it's been packed very hard. I had a little minwax which well enough to coat 'n soak a short time, but it's pricey and cannot find it anywhere local.

So I've read online and am somewhat overwhelmed, Boiling prickly pear cactus leaves. and tea, styrofoam and acetone, Boiled linseed oil and naptha and other oils? I only have two handles to finish so I want to enhance the lines and add some durability.

Can anyone suggest what I'v described above?

Thank you, GT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

Lowes carries a resin that is used to strengthen rotten wood, Im thinking it's around 20 bucks for a half gallon can. Ive never used it as such. Im still trying to make a vacume chamber, and havent experimented with this resin yet Are you using stacked disks of birchbark as a handle? Sounds interesting.

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Minwax wood hardener does penetrate and stabilize.

The quick and dirty way to do it is to put the handle material in a ball jar, fill it up with wood hardener enough to cover the piece. Close the lid and put it in a pot of boiling water. put the lid on the pot and let it cool. It should penetrate well enough. This is not considered a professional grade stabilizing, but it is a pretty good start.

I have not tried Ultraseal, Resin X, Vortex, or MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice.

i use http://www.turntex.com/ Cactus Juice but you need a motorised vacume pump to get the best results

it will turn a bone dry block of spungy punky wood in to a solid block that is close to walnut in hardness and texture and the set time for the liquid to be usable after it has been soaked and pumped is around 2 hours in the oven then however long it takes to get to room temp how long it needs to be pumped depends on the wood

but it does have a shelf life

and i aint any cheeper than minwax but the results are well worth it

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

Thanks for the input guys. Like everyone else on the internet, I'm always looking for something home grown (cheap). Better to do it right with the right stuff.

Looks like Turn Tex is where I'll be heading eventually. Anyway, will post some photos later.

GT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

Tung oil will penetrate and harden, but not very deeply. It will also bring out

some of the color of the bark. I like Waterlox transparent and have used it for years

on all kinds of stuff.

Bill

A product called Cactus Juice is very good .

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121

Sam

Sorry Dragon did not see you posted it .

Edited by Samcro

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge