Okay, so I have this great apprehension of showing my work anywhere, especially here, due to the simply amazing quality of work that graces these pages. That being said, my meager contributions will only increase in quality if I force myself to suck it up and put my work out there. It's the only way I can get the proper advice on what to change in my approach, as well as anything else that may be lacking.

It was a good learning experience, and I have a better idea what I need to not do in the future. The leather sheath, for example, was a first for me, but I hope to try some nice copper fittings next time.

However, I would desperately love any advice and critique you great folks could give!

Any-who, some background on this project

My brother managed to get himself deployed with the Army before myself. He's been in the middle east for almost a year now, and is due to come home very soon. I vowed to get him a nice knife made up as a welcome home gift for when he gets back, and so I hit the drawing board.

He is Wiccan, interestingly enough, and actually took over lead of organizing the military wiccans not only where he is stationed, but multiple other locations as well. He recently found out that he currently leads the only organized wiccan group in his area.

So, I figure it a great welcome home present would be a handcrafted Athame, to honor not only his service overseas, but his spirituality as well.

As he has a tendency to lean towards a more Norse style worship, I decided to blend seax and Athame into one, and make something not entirely accurate historically.

SPECS

o1 Tool Steel (probably gonna steer clear of this steel in the future and go with something like 1085 instead)

Mild Steel fittings

Red Pine and Black walnut grip (I chose pine as the decoration wood, because it was lying around, and I figured that as a ritual tool, it would not see the abuse of a work knife or weapon of war, and so a softer wood was not out of the question."

OAL- 11 3/4"

Blade- 5 3/4

Grip- 6"

Well, here it is, let me know what you think!

2013-03-21 19.32.49.jpg

2013-03-21 19.33.06.jpg

2013-03-21 19.33.23.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the completely awful cell phone photos. Someday, I will get a real camera!

Thanks Phil, this project would be only my third completed knife, and I'm only semi happy with it lol

Nice ! Great job on the aesthetics if I can offer any advice would be that the blade

seems too small for the handle but that is judt my opinion.

I think you added just the right ammount of ornamentation. I struggle with that

I tend to over due it.

Geoff

Nice ! Great job on the aesthetics if I can offer any advice would be that the blade

seems too small for the handle but that is judt my opinion.

I think you added just the right ammount of ornamentation. I struggle with that

I tend to over due it.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thank you very much! I think I agree with you on the blade being too small. I was originally going to try to grind the handle a bit down to make it look better, but decided that it would be to thin at that point.

I will definitely take that on to my next project for sure.

As for ornamentation, I definitely started with much more (over)decorated sketches, and after a few suggestions from friends and family, decided to scale it back quite a bit.

Thanks again for your kind words, and your advice,

Dan

All I can add from an execution point of view is to watch those shoulders ahead of the guard. Ideally you want straight lines there, and this one pinches in top and bottom. But you knew that. ;)

All I can add from an execution point of view is to watch those shoulders ahead of the guard. Ideally you want straight lines there, and this one pinches in top and bottom. But you knew that. ;)

Thanks, Alan, I will definitely take that to my next project!

• 1 month later...

Very cool Dan. I think that you are doing your brother proud with this blade. I have been making wiccan tools for more than 25 years. and it is the effort and love that goes into it that means more than anything. Great job. Keep em coming.

It's a matter of taste, but I would think that it would look better if the handle where it joins the blade was the same width or just slightly wider than the heal of the blade. I think that a slight taper from back to front of the handle would make it look less blocky. I think that it's why I like a coffin handle for daggers.

Now I have a question for you, what constitutes an Athame?

Doug

Very cool Dan. I think that you are doing your brother proud with this blade. I have been making wiccan tools for more than 25 years. and it is the effort and love that goes into it that means more than anything. Great job. Keep em coming.

Thanks, I am happy to report that he is now home and has the blade in hand! It had definitely been a great learning project for me, as I put a lot of work into it. It is still an early project, and I hope to actually get somewhat decent someday! Thanks for your kind words!

It's a matter of taste, but I would think that it would look better if the handle where it joins the blade was the same width or just slightly wider than the heal of the blade. I think that a slight taper from back to front of the handle would make it look less blocky. I think that it's why I like a coffin handle for daggers.

Now I have a question for you, what constitutes an Athame?

Doug

Doug, I completely agree with you on the even width of the blade and the handle. My original sketch had it as such, but I made the tang too wide, and was running low on time, and I feared my rather pathetic belt sander would not be up to the task of grinding it down enough, especially with a deadline drawing near. My biggest time consumer was that I worked on this primarily between work, classes, and Homework (college can be a time vaccuum!) I've got projects in the works now that I hope I can dedicate more time too with summer on the approach.

As for Athame's, I know that they can vary greatly. My brother is probably better at this than I am myself, but from what I found in research for them, they are typically straight, double edged knives that are more often then not dull, or without an edge, as they are a ritual tool. They often have black handles, to distinguish them from the other wiccan knife, the Boline, which is a white handled cresent bladed knife. I've seen such an outrageous variety of knives and knife shaped objects claiming to be athames, however, that I am unsure if their is any real historical constants.

Mine doesnt have a black handle, but there have been so many I came across that lacked them as well. They also commonly have some form of pagan/wiccan symbol like a pentagram or the triple moon phase symbol (not sure what it's real name is).

I hope this answered your question sufficiently :)

Dan