Rob Toneguzzo

Pipe Hawk

Hi Ron

I have been making inquiries about a drilled handle.....curly maple is exactly what I had in mind....I have not done a lot of late as I have been busy replenishing my chook supply as some were getting a bit old.

.Anyhow I have ended up getting a few ducks too and could not help myself so I got a rooster as well...one of the blokes at work recons I have a poultry addiction....I might have to go cold turkey!...

OOHHhh.. bad pun. Funny, none the less.

Nice Hawk, but the engraving is Wicked Sweet!

Fantastic work!

I saw something the other day on south american tribal blowguns...

They hollow out the 5 to 6 foot long blow tubes by carving a half round into the flats of two halfround staffs.

Then they glue the sides together and wrap with twine, also soaked in glue.

You could use something like that method for your handle. Possibly interlace some bear claws or such into the wrap to pull it together with the theme.

Just my ponderings, but I suspect whatever you end up with will turn out given what you have done already.

James

Thanks James,

I really have to get on with this one...been a bit distracted

Tis the season to be distracted, I get maybe 2 or 3 hours a week in the shop. :angry:

I Hear ya Kip! I have forgotten what a fish looks like and only know I am a bow hunter by my old photos haha

Thanks Nate

I just discovered my old crowbar is actually an old drilling rod which are often used as crowbars. Anyhow I am on holidays as of tomorrow so I should get some forging in.

Rob if that is an old drill rod it could be several different types of steel. Here is some info I pulled off of a website about drill rod and how to treat is. If you can figure out the best treatment it will harden up and take and edge very well! Like how this is hawk is coming along :excl:

Rather that post this and make it four pages long here is a link to a site that came up when I Goggled drill rod. As you can see drill rod can be bought in several different configurations, but all will harden!

http://www.onlinemetals.com/toolsteelguide.cfm

Rob if that is an old drill rod it could be several different types of steel. Here is some info I pulled off of a website about drill rod and how to treat is. If you can figure out the best treatment it will harden up and take and edge very well! Like how this is hawk is coming along :excl:

Rather that post this and make it four pages long here is a link to a site that came up when I Goggled drill rod. As you can see drill rod can be bought in several different configurations, but all will harden!

http://www.onlinemetals.com/toolsteelguide.cfm

Thanks mate,

It ended up hardening very well. I have been a bit distracted but hope to get a handle on it before too long. I will be sur e to post when I do.

You must be as busy as me, I keep checking back to see the handle!!! :P

Hi Kip,

Work is getting in the way mate..I really do have to get my act together and finish this one off

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Only just gotten around to looking at this, and all I can say is; Rob, mate.......that is as cool as Polar bear poo! I Love it.

Best regards

Thom

Thanks Thom ...I really need to make some time to get this one done.

Rob,

I dont know if the shipping would eat you up, but there are Muzzeloading supply houses here in the states that sell Curley maple scraps from stock blanks that are plenty big enough for hawk handles and not all that expensive. also to make it smoke you wont need a big diameter hole, maybe 3/16 ? Id figure you could make you a drill rod and zip a hole right thru. with any old battery drill or power hand drill. Well whatever you choose to do Im confident it will be stunning! Holler if I can be of help.

It has been a pleasure watching this take shape, you have really made a noble effort with this. I've been digging around a bit looking to see what native wood you could use, not coming up with much else other than this document...

Boomerangs are made from hardwood; mulga, a type of wattle (Acacia aneura), is commonly used in central Australia, whilst sheoak (Allocasuarina) is often used in southeast Australia.

From another website:

Clubs are usually always made from mulga wood and can vary in shapes and sizes.

It has been an interesting search, though possibly pointless.... I think it would be kinda neat to use a native Australian wood for the handle, though.

Edited by GEzell

It has been a pleasure watching this take shape, you have really made a noble effort with this. I've been digging around a bit looking to see what native wood you could use, not coming up with much else other than this document...

From another website:

It has been an interesting search, though possibly pointless.... I think it would be kinda neat to use a native Australian wood for the handle, though.

Hey thanks, been caught up with life and have not been on the site as much as I would like. I have some ironwood but am struggling with drilling the hole. I am very basic in my shop....have to get myself in gear though...time is ticking

Rob, drilling the hole is the hardest part, which is why I buy them predrilled if I can. Since you can't, here's a way to do it...

First you need the drill bit. I make them by taking one the size I need (since you're in metric land call it 5 or 6mm) and brazing it to a length of drill rod or any steel in a pinch, then filing the joint flush. You can then draw a guideline and aim for straight, with someone off to the side to watch for level, or hang a level on the bit when you're starting the hole.

Or, somewhere on this site Brent Finnegan had a picture of the drilling jig he made a few years ago. Basically you need a long frame that will clamp the handle in position with a longish guide bushing to run the bit through that insures it's straight and lined up properly.

Either way, the key is to go slow. As in only drill a few cm at a time, stopping to clear sawdust every time. If you try to bull it through fast the bit will wander off to the side, follow the grain, and otherwise screw up your plans. If you use the brazed bit method I do you can also snap the end off if you get too stuck.

I once asked the guys from Colonial Williamsburg where they do it all by hand the old way how they drilled their handles. They make the bits by forging and filing a spade bit on the end of a rod and using a hand brace and eyeballs. That's a little harder core than I wanted at the time, but now I think it might be worth a shot.

One final thing: The guy who predrills the ones I use drills them while the wood is way oversized, like 10cm square. Then he carved the handle with it held by the hole so it has to be on-center. He uses a 5-axis cnc router-lathe, but you could certainly do it by hand just as easily, if more slowly.

I saw a guy at SOFA (a blacksmith conference) a few years ago drill one by chucking a bit up in a lathe on the dead center side, and slowly advanced the drill into the spining handle. To me this seemed insane, but he did a good job so maybe it's something to think about.

Thanks for the advice Alan. As soon as I finish my chook pen I will be back onto it.

Well.... I just did not have the gear to drill a handle or the right wood so I have ordered 2 bits of drilled curly maple which I will sand down to fit. They are on their way and should be here within 10 days so all going well I will have the hawk finally completed soon.

Definitely an awesome bit of work, Rob. I don't normally frequent the kith section, but I'm glad I did this time!

When I first saw that wood grain, I thought it was some gnarly wrought iron. Then you knocked out that eagle's head with almost photographic quality. Very impressive.

Thanks Vaughn..I am eagerly awaiting the drilled curly maple to arrive so I can make the handle any finish it off.....

awesome hawk Rob!!!great work!looking forward to see it finished.

Thanks mate,

Checking the mail each day....handle wood should be here any day ...nothing like cutting it fine

Drilled handle wood has arrived at last......now to get this finished.....when is the final cut off date?