Luke Shearer

Not my Norm

Made this for a kid I go to school with. Materials and design were his choice..... I dont hate it... :P

Powder coated 1075, green micarta, and welding rods for the pins :rolleyes:

I bet the guys over on bladeforums would eat this up

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I don't hate it, at all... It is well executed and very utilitarian, much like any true historical weapon would be. I'd be more inclined to strap that to my combat gear, any day...

How did you do the blackening on the blade?

Haha I didnt mean to make fun of the style, its just not my preference. To be honest I actually quite like the handle shape and jimping on the spine, and the powder coat seems very durable. It was nice to get out of my comfort zone.

Karl, the blade was sprayed with a black powder coat and baked at 400o F. I know a guy :)

hahaha "I don't hate it". Not your norm indeed, but branching out is an excellent idea, it shows you where you are at in the grand scheme of things

It can get to be a production-y look to it, no wonder you aren't too big on the style. though Its awesome and is hungering for enjoyment none the less.

great work!

I like it but for one thing. I like a guard, at least on a fighting/working type knife. But thats me! And If thats what the guy you made it for wants, well he is obviously happy about it . An thats who counts! I do have a question for you, Ive been useing OD green Micarta and mine never finishes out green, Comes out black!( see attached image) It doesn't look bad but it aint green! How do you finish your grips and keep them GREEN?

DSCN0535.JPG

what are you polishing out the Green handles with Hoy ? it could be your issue with it staying green .

Sam

Hey, I have never worked with the material before, but since its basically just fiberglass (or plastic??), I just ground it to shape with my 36 grit aluminum oxide "wood" belt (I NEVER let it touch metal). Then I just sanded it to 220 grit and cleaned it up with a splash of oil.

Pretty nice execution Luke! Although it neither is my style of knife I do think you made it very neat. Use this high quality in your own designed blades and they will be magnificent! :)

Edited by JasperDielemans

I'm going to punch you if you already gave it to him without showing me first...

Oops...

good clean grind lines... and you made what you set out to make for someone else.

that is good, right? the grind shows technical skill.

kc

well i suppose I'll quit buffing the stuff on the sisal buff with the Black( Duh) compuond