BOAC 12 century sword

J. Helmes

Hello, I wanted to share my most recent sword. This one is an inspirstion based on sword X12 fron Records of the Medieval sword. The original is currently at the museumof Glasgow The blade is a high layer combination of 1095 and wrought iron wit silver inlay The hilt parts are also wrought. The scabbard is wool lined with a wooden core and leather cover. The scabbard fittings are also wrought iron. For anyone interested I have more pics up on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.537710749574940.123844.145872495425436&type=1 The sword weighs 2 lb just under 3 oz. The blade is 27" lobg with a POB of 3 3/4" af51eac7-0bc3-4bd6-9673-1d6ecea3cdf0_zpscaf6bf44-9864-42ca-b8d7-d882846b0d0a_zpsac0c381a-4112-4b6e-a368-84d6e0049372_zps

Edited by J. Helmes

that is really a thing of beauty. I am happy to just stare at it. Great inlay, too.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Brilliant, Jeff. Really well done. Your inlay is incredible. There's something about most other inlay that I've seen that seems a bit contrived, but this has the perfect flow and feel to it. Great work on the scabbard, too, I love the way the straps cross and intersect.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Whoa. The inlay"font" looks weird, but cool! I love that type of sheath. Nice work :)

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

It seems to be a time traveler that popped into the fututre from the 12th century. Looks like it may have met William Wallace at some point in it's career, or perhaps served a Templer while in the holy land. Very fine!

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

A really really fine sword and excellent work of course.

When I visited Glasgow last year I had to scratch this sword from my list of swords to study, but it was a hard decision. It is one of those very fine swords that are pretty unappreciated, or at least not often put forward as great examples of the sword smiths art. It is a shame, since it really is such a fine sword.

Congratulations to work well done! I know the customer will be thrilled :-)

Thanks everyone! From what I gathered of the original inlay, the BOAC was apparently repeated 4 times. My client and I decided on one single large inlay based on Ewart Oakshottes interpretation of it. It would have been great to have seen it in person. The tale of the original sword must have been an interesting one. The inlay was quite complicated and done in gold as I am lead to understand. Perhaps comisioned by some returning crusader?

"The original was obviously made for a time-travelling employee of British Airways between 1940 and 1974, though. ;)"

I believe Jeff Pringel may have thought it could have been made for a Blue Oyster Cult aficinado. That makes things a little more complicated as it technically falls withing the same era...

Edited by J. Helmes

One day I shall have such a thing of beauty...... B)

Awesome piece...!!

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!