Wow, this is a pretty cool thread. Wouldn't mind seeing this one get going again. Apparently brewing and smithing go well together. I've been making beer, wine, and... other things... for a few years. Got into mead 2 years ago. I liked the mead so much that I started beekeeping last year. I have a couple of top bar hives, which I was fascinated to learn is the same type of hive that has been used in Scandinavia since the Viking age and earlier. I currently have an experimental gallon batch of a mead/braggot from my first honey harvest, with a little barley malt, hops, and juniper berries added. It's always interesting to me to see what other hobbies smiths are into.

Never walk

away from home

ahead of your axe and sword.

You can't feel a battle

in your bones

or foresee a fight.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very seldom do beer and normally cheat and use a kit. However I do make my own mead, just bottled a batch last winter and starting to turn out really nice after a bit of aging.

Mama always said to be careful of the company you keep B)

A very simply mead:

mead.jpg

Around my house it's called "elbow medicine" (bad hammer arm, you know)

Don

Edited by Don Abbott

And while we're at it, define "rack" for me. I see it come up frequently but I'm not sure what's involved.

Edited by Don Abbott

My hat's off to you "do it from scratch the old way" guys. I've never attempted any brewing (other than a corn malt brew destined to be a clear liquid common here in the Ozarks).

I've enjoyed the thread. Thanks.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA