Okay, here is the deal. I am stuck on a decision; which one of two knife designs to do first as soon as my new forge is built. I have done the hardest part of narrowing down the field considerably. My idea is to post the pictures and have everyone on the forum vote. Am I allowed to do this, and are there enough people willing to look at and vote on the designs? what I am looking for is which one you are voting on and why, though if you want to vote without an explanation, that is totally fine. I would prefer one for future design reasons. Please let me know what you think about this and whether it is ok or not to do so. Thanks, guys

As a rule, we have opinions, and we love to share them. This is the right place, so post away.

BTW, are you coming to the knife show in Eugene? If so, stop by and say hi. It's always good to put names with faces. I'll be at table M09.

Geoff

If your talking about the OKCA show at the fair grounds in April, yes I am definitely going to be there. I am going to try to help the table being put on for Club 5160 (the local knife makers club) but I will definitely look you up. Thanks and As soon as I get the pictures of the designs scanned, I will post. (or if I fugure out haow to use inkscape on my computer I can draw the designs).

Ok, here they are. sorry about the photo quaility, it was done off my webcam.

Both of these are forged from 1085 steel

Recurve Skinner

Brass bolster, cocobolo handle, hidden tang, abalone inlay

Snapshot_20130403.jpg

Drop point Hunter, Bronze bolster and butt cap, osage orange handle. The one posted is actually the special edition version with a ladder pattern damascus and steel cable/ bronze mokume fittings and ebony handle.

Snapshot_20130403_1.jpg

I don't really like the top one, but that is just me. I think if you added a bit to the second one, just a bit of length (1/2-3/4 ") and made it just a bit pointier, it would suit my eye better. I will never argue with Osage, it's my favorite wood, I'd do everything in it if I thought I could get away with it.

Geoff

A small note on the second picture... the length of the blades looks a little wrong because of the angle that I had to take the picture at. the blade length is about the same as the handle lenght

here is a better picture of the second knife

CAM00019.jpg

As I said, the picture is of the special editon, not the regular made (and for the recap, the blade will be 1085, with bronze bolster and butt cap, with osage orange handle

Edited by Raymond Jewell

The down curve of the handle bothers me, but otherwise it's a nice design. I would also have a look at the angle of the plunge cut and the bolster. I think it would look better if they were square to one another.

Geoff

I must side with Geoff. I like the drop point more so than the first

Okay, thats two for the drop point. thanks guys, keep the votes and critiques coming.

Well I sure don't have any beefs at all with Geoff or Luke, but I like the first one ..To me its more unique since I see a lot of drop point. I like the brass guard and I like inlays... and Sorry Geoff I hate Osage for handles, ( It's tweety bird yellow, which is what turns me off) matter of fact Ill send you ( Geoff)some pieces I have laying around here. I m just a rebel LOL

The first one Is what some of my mentors call a buffalo skinner (I'm not sure why, they just do.)

Thanks for the input. Thats One for the skinner, two for the drop point. thanks and keep it going.

• 2 weeks later...

You should do both. I like them both in different ways for different reasons. The first might be a bit tricky for a newbie, and the second is nice but listen: Don't do complicated things that you don't understand. Before you even put the peice of 01 or 52100, whatever you're using into the coal, charcoal, blast it with ignited propane, whatever you're using, make sure you're ready. Have a PERFECT design for the knife even though it probbably won't turn out that way, make sure you know exactly what you're gonna do next, and it souldn't take long at all. But start simple, you'll get good fast. Trust me. And then, finally, don't use a lot of stock removal, I implore you, do the minimal amount at most. That's all, and post your progress, we'll all be wonderful critics :lol:. Once again, Have fun!

Thank you, Erik, for the advice. It's always refreshing to be reminded of the fundamentals (hand to learn that the hard way in the cage). I do plan on doing both and have done both styles of knife before. I am actually trying to get the vote on which one to make first so that i can make a gift for the person who provided the materials for my new (and first) propane forge. I actually hope to make both of these knives regular catalog items for my business. I do have my own preferences usually, but I really like both designs equally. That is why I need an outside opinion (kinda like asking my wife which one of two or three ties to wear). Also, I do try to forge to shape most of the time (more fun than just cutting it out).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, with the new propane forge almost finished, I am putting this vote back out on the table. I would really implore the forum for a broader spectum of votes, so that I can get the best piece out there. This is to be a gift, but I suck at making decisions when I like both equally for different reasons. All votes and any critique are welcome. thanks, guys.

id say do the first one just because its got a little more of a shape to it than the drop point.

Two for the skinner, two for the drop point. Anyone else with an opinion?

Well, I'm no master smith (in fact I'm just a teen messing around in my garage with big dreams and little potential), but as an observer, I'd say do the second, make the handle ebony, use the inlay from the first knife on the second, and straighten out the handle a little. Otherwise, do the hunter.