Sign in to follow this  
Sam Salvati

Monday night exercise

I ground this out tonight after work, wanted to practice dagger grinds and make a quick boot type knife. 1084, ground on a 14" wheel.

480882_10200940378902674_410088046_n.jpg

72698_10200940387782896_47100364_n.jpg

561432_10200940384022802_1840013241_n.jp

549006_10200940350341960_1476627880_n.jp

that's a fantastic grind. freehand? what grit did you finish at? is the wheel dressed/crowned at all?

that's a fantastic grind. freehand? what grit did you finish at? is the wheel dressed/crowned at all?

Thanks Jake, yes freehand. I finished at a 220, then wire wheeled the whole thing. The wheel has rounded corners but no crown.

thanks Karter.

You, sir, are a show off... :D

Wicked work Sam! My grinder skills are severely lacking, and is something I desperately need to improve. Great symmetry and crispness of the centreline. I wouldn't be able to do that with any sort of jig :huh:

John

Thanks guys! John It's easier sort of for me because it's a hollow grind, locking in that center bevel. Much easier to not wash out the ridgeline, and move it around then a flat grind.

Sam, that is just too much, simply awesome. I could never get anything done on a grinder, Mine is 8" - 1 HP/3450 RPMS. I thought about a larger wheel and less RPMs and many work aids, some of which I haven't tried yet. However, I can freehand allright on a belt sander.

What RPMS are you using and how many grits before 220?

Thank you, GT

GT thank you. when I say grinder I mean belt grinder, not stone grinder. It is a 14" wheel, 3" by 136" belt size, 5 horsepower, 3450 RPM motor with a 6" drive wheel. I did all the grinding pretty much (almost too far) on a 24 grit belt, then just ran it over a 120 then 220 then wire wheel.

Specs are, 7" blade 5" handle 12" overall, 3/4" wide blade.

Whew, thank you Sam. I was really feeling some self pity creeping in!

At any rate...belt sander or not, it is fabulous for three grits. When I use the belt sander, it's an 8" wheel, (very slighly crowned). But the HP is much less probably around 3/4 horse. I will jump grits maybe 36 to 180. I still go back to a file jig or hand file/sanding most of the time.

I appreciate it Sam!

Yeah , i come home from work, drag out to the shop Forge a few triple twist vikin swords, couple katanas, then i go eat dinner !

Sir Covetousness is a sin! Go easy on us .

Yes Im impressed, but why dont you mention the elves that work in your shop? taking all the credit yourself, I see

Great lines, Sam!

That 5hp Bader space-saver didn't hurt anything either, though. ;-)

Damn. I might have to drive back up there for a tutorial. I've got a dagger commission in progress, and ridge lines are hell. I'd probably wait until the skin on my knuckle finishes growing back, after meeting a 220 grit belt on one of those grinders at the hammer in.

Pretty darn cool. I'd also like to point out that Sam tells me all day at work that he doesn't do bevels

I dont do bevels! I do ramps.

Alan, actually it's hard to do knife type grinds on those machines.