sanding medium for hardend steel

ryanwrath

hi all, i am in dire need of sand paper typ medium that i can buy that will sand and actually move hardend steel......i do this all the time, however i got some 5160 so darn hard it wont move even with a flapper disk on a 6" grinder.........its also pretty darn flexible, but thats besides the point......i really have to lean on my grinder, even with a straight grinding wheel on it and even then wont move alot ...shrug anyway some advice on high quality sandpaper or would say diamond stone work? not sure open to suggestions!

thanks!

3M , don't get the light grey that most stores sell by the sheet but the darker almost black that comes in a pack of 5.The best place to get it by the sheet is a auto paint shop ,it's a better grade and they have a wider range of grits.Do not use the really black emery paper you will only get frustrated.

as for the really black emery.........i was frustrated aredy...hehe but Thank You for the info im trying to find what i need locally and alot of places i asked i got a huh and a :blink: from whoever i asked over the phone for ceramic or silicon carbide abrasive paper......the auto body tip is a good one, thanks!

Indasa redline rhynowet. I got mine cheap from supergrit.

http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_sheets-brownredao.asp

It is aluminium oxide but it is not like crappy brown sheets you have tried before. It is excellent on steel.

I bought 50 packs of the grits I use most, because it sucks to have to run around looking for 5 sheets of 400 on a saturday when you want to be making knives. I think I have some black indasa wet and dry sheets that are also excellent.