This guy sent his own piece of Gidgee from Australia for me to use on his knife.
I wish a had a whole box of this stuff.

The blade is W2 and the take-down fittings are stainless.

I like it when W1 or W2 sort of "sneak" in their own little bits of hamon quite unexpectedly. There are at least 6 pieces of hamon on this side that were a complete surprise.

DH5a_zps72641c5e.jpg

Gidgee? I learned a new thing! Never heard of it before. Looks lovely! You seem surprised by the hamon, were you not using clay to harden this blade? Or was this just a freak event from having the edge hotter then the spine? Great Job!

Yes - I used clay to ntentionally influence the hamon.

Yet, there were some random areas of "rogue" hamon not anywhere near my clay.

I'm saying that I enjoy this activity from the very shallow hardening steels.

Gidgee? I learned a new thing! Never heard of it before. Looks lovely! You seem surprised by the hamon, were you not using clay to harden this blade? Or was this just a freak event from having the edge hotter then the spine? Great Job!

I've always liked both Gidgee and Mallee, both ringed and burl. Some neat woods in Oz. How hard is it? I've never played with any.

I also like the optimism of having an adjustable rear sight on a 2" Detective Special... :lol:

That's a Diamondback! :D

I've always liked both Gidgee and Mallee, both ringed and burl. Some neat woods in Oz. How hard is it? I've never played with any.

I also like the optimism of having an adjustable rear sight on a 2" Detective Special... :lol: