Castillon Sword Build: My next project

Hi All:

Ever since I received a copy of the 2012 Park Lane Arms Fair catalog (thanks Kevin), with Peter Johnsson's amazing theory of medieval sword design, I've wanted to re-create a sword that is detailed in another article I that same catalog.

The article is by Clive Thomas, and it provides very detailed specs on several swords of the Castillon Hoard.

So . . . here I go.

I've attached a scan of the blade. I love the lines of this blade. The pommel is especially elegant, I think.

What's wonderful about this build is that I have all the specs in front of me, so for once I don't have to pester Peter for details on length, weight, points of balance/pivot, etc.

OAL: 43 5/8"

Blade: 36"

Width: 2" at base

3lb 1/8 oz

Based on the blade dimensions, it appears to be designed primarily as a thrusting weapon.

I plan to build this with a high-layer ladder pattern, with an accent layer near the middle. I'm also thinking of blued steel fittings and a bronze wire wrap for the handle, but I may just retreat to my tried and true Ebony/African Blackwood.

Thoughts, ideas, and input always welcome.

Cheers!

--Dave

Castillion.jpg

Oh, please tell me you're doing this as a WIP.

As for suggestions, I'd love to see this with a tooled leather wrapped grip. Maybe with some bronze wire at either end to tie the look together.

Whatever you decide, I can't wait to see what you put together.

Happy forging!

-Jon

Edited by Jon Stormm

Dave this is going to be great! I've just discovered the swords from the castillion hoard and fallen in love with most of them, and ones really been giving me the itch to bring it back to life ^_^

can't wait to watch how your's turns out! I like the idea of blacken fittings with bronze

I'm also thinking of blued steel fittings and a bronze wire wrap for
the handle, but I may just retreat to my tried and true Ebony/African
Blackwood.

You know, you could go with the black ebony with wide spaced wire wrap (not sure of the technical term). The bronze with the ebony I think would really set everything off, but that is just my opinion.

Dave - great use of the catalog - that's why I snatched them up and distributed them among board members. Love to see how this goes. I have to take a time out from daos to make something simple before I tackle another challenge (of course I have a dao almost finished that I haven't shown you guys yet, so I am pretty tired of polishing and engraving right now).

rock on, man...

Dave this project gave me the kick in the pants to draw out a life sized picture of the blade I wanted to make!

I'm intrested in what program your using to draw out your models?

also just noticed this has a 36 inch blade, thats huge B) !!! from pictures I always thought of these as single hander's... I'm really looking forward to it now!

Dave this project gave me the kick in the pants to draw out a life sized picture of the blade I wanted to make!

I'm intrested in what program your using to draw out your models?

also just noticed this has a 36 inch blade, thats huge B) !!! from pictures I always thought of these as single hander's... I'm really looking forward to it now!

It's deceptive, isn't it? The lines seem to indicate a much smaller sword than it is.

I use Adobe Illustrator to diagram my swords.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes sir. Less than a month to go.

Watch your 6 and get home Safe Brother ! Retired US Army 25+years here . sending Prayers your way for a safe return .

Sam Hooah