Damascus Dane.

I finished this axe before xmas but the fine finish was bugging me so I cut it off the handle and re cleaned it up and re etched it and I am happy now!

300 odd layers 15n20 en42.

Forging the damascus simples,

Forging the axe head simples,

cleaning the whole thing up not so simples.......but it ended up OK!

well I cleaned it up. and deep etched it . I think it looks GOOD now!

8677609484_e573f4051c_b.jpg

8677609450_c4f4c37ccb_b.jpg

8677609420_7c69b27454_b.jpg

8677609506_48d28fd7b2_b.jpg

Edited by owen bush

So if damascus is the salt and fat......what is the sugar?

damn this is beautiful! I really mean it! the pattern of the steel really makes it look like an item of real significance.

Owen (newbee question [anyone answering would be great] ). I have etched only one blade in my life (a cabe damascus dagger) on PBC acid and it didnt came out very deep. When you say deep etching, how do you achieve that ?

thanks a lot for sharing your inspiration work :)

damn this is beautiful! I really mean it! the pattern of the steel really makes it look like an item of real significance.

Owen (newbee question [anyone answering would be great] ). I have etched only one blade in my life (a cabe damascus dagger) on PBC acid and it didnt came out very deep. When you say deep etching, how do you achieve that ?

thanks a lot for sharing your inspiration work :)

Etching in ferric requires time and multiple cleaning ups. I leave the blade in for 3 minutes and then clean it up with fine wire wool. then back in the etch and then out again and clean up after half an hour. repeat until done. this blade etched for 18 hours in all...

Ferric chloride formes a stable oxide as it etches so the speed of etching slows down, cleaning that oxide off speeds up the whole process and you seem to get a cleaner etch than if you just left it in the ferric for a long time.

my ferric is 1/3 strength (or less) and ambient temp has a big effect.

Edited by owen bush

that is a beauty. really is.

Brilliant! Absolutely stunning! I'm glad you did whatever you had to do to be happy with it, for it was well worth the effort B)

John

I love on the big pattern welded axes how you can "see" the movement of the material, how the pattern is a map of how it was formed.... if only you are wise enough to read said map.

Edited by Matthew Parkinson

Owen-- Back to the question of what's the sugar?

Your piece very well shows the sweet.

It is with a certain pleasure anticipated to look up your work. It is always a nice, well worked, finished piece.

The sweet/sugar is the hours of time in planning/making/finishing the job. In one word craftsmanship.

~chuck

• 6 months later...