Teemu Maenpaa

First Post, First Puukko

Hello,

I have been lurking around the forums for some months now and finally managed to gather enough courage for my first post.

This is the very first knife I have ever made and so far only one aswell. I made it in local community college course in January this year. College provided the tools but everything from forging to sheath is self made. (You can see it in the level of finish)

The blade is highcarbon steel, unfortunately I don't know any name or specifics for it. Handle is made of brass, bogote (80% sure) and curly birch. Tang goes through the whole handle and is striked flat against last brass mounting, so basically handle is attached for eternity.

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

I'll appreciate any kudos, critique or advice you have to offer.

I already have my second project ongoing but since I'm student and don't have garage, tools, time nor money it might take a while :)

-Teemu

Welcome Teemu!
I really like what I'm seeing, but firstly something what you must keep in mind when doing puukkos. Try to get good oval shape to your fittings, not so circleish. And fattest place for handle should be somewhere in 1:2 ratio from back. You have littlebit material upper side of handle, so anyways. I know, it's first, it's not flawless. I like that unique sheath, but you should try to find some straight lines for puukko. And your blade is neat! You have kept your angle good all the way, and it is really good work! Props for that! For first blade, thats really impressive!! (:

Straight, simple lines. So hard to achieve, so hard to do right, but when done right, it's out of this world!

Keep your work up! I like it! Where do you live in Finland? (:

Topi

Awesome job, I'm loving the sheath lots,,, great little working knife. Wish it was mine!

jm

Well done. Welcome.. Thiis, in my opinion, is the best kniife and related forum that exists.

For a first knife you did a great job. The fit at the bolster is very good. Well done.

Thanks guys. Topi, I absolutely agree what you said about handle. Shape is pretty much a victim of very limited time we had during the course. I just had to move forward to be able to finish everything in time. Its no where near the the quality of your second one the one with bark handle but I'll try to get closer to that shape with my next.

I'm glad you guys like the sheath. I'm actually quite satisfied with it, the shape might be bit unusual for traditional puukko but I'm not aiming for museum piece anyway.

P.S. Topi, edustan Pohjois-Pohjanmaalla

-Teemu

Congrats on losing your cherry. Welcome!

noticed you got what looks like some pits in the blade there i had the same problem when i was starting out. i would suggest using a technique called wet forging you get your hammer face and anvil face wet and when you strike the steel the flaky scale flies right off. wear safety glasses though not fun to get in the eye. but its an awesome little knife may it live long.