Needs a Name, Critique

Hey Y'all

This is my first post of a project. I've made some knives before, but I felt good about posting this one. You can see that the blade is an unusual shape, but I like my happy little accident. There's only a single brass tube keeping the tang in place, but half the handle is carved out so that it won't wiggle at all. The sheath and handle are white oak. They have been stained with the leftovers of an acid bath (apple cider vinegar) for cleaning rust and firescale. Basically it's Iron II and Iron III acetates in water. Iron reacts with white oak to make a very dark color. The other piece of wood illustrates the difference in appearance on non-oak wood. I'm very happy with the highlights in the wood. The lanyard is a bit of paracord I had liying around. I intend to get some leather or something and make a belt loop for it to hang around (after all, it's like my grandpa said, "I didn't get it to look at it"). It fits well in my hand and I enjoyed making it. Right now, I need a bit of advice/tips, it needs a little more sharpening, and it needs a name so I can etch into the blade.

Cheers!

06-11-13 005.jpg

Made a leather cover to put it on my belt. It's been a few months, but I already love this knife can't wait for my next one. It's going to have blue stained maple grips. I can't wait, but I have to... =(

knife 5-2-13 007.jpg

knife 5-2-13 003.jpg

knife 5-2-13 004.jpg

knife 5-2-13 005.jpg

knife 5-2-13 008.jpg

knife 5-2-13 001.jpg

06-11-13 006.jpg

Edited by Tim Scarlatti

interesting effect on the oak. I like the wood sheath and handle combo, but I cant tell much about the blade in the photo. I would suggest you look up the word Oak in german and write it in runes on the blade. It looks ancient like a relic from a bog

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Vingaroon, iron reacts with the tannins in the wood if you were too add black tea to that you see

it go even blacker by adding more tannins . Apparently there is a bark off a south american tree that

will make it go jet black but I have not experimentdd with that yet ( you make a tea out of the bark ).

Geoff

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Vingaroon, iron reacts with the tannins in the wood if you were too add black tea to that you see

it go even blacker by adding more tannins . Apparently there is a bark off a south american tree that

will make it go jet black but I have not experimentdd with that yet ( you make a tea out of the bark ).

Geoff

Is that to say that you think the knife should be called vingaroon? Interesting note about the tannins, because my chemistry teacher said the same thing today when I told her about it and showed a picture. I've google around and that seems to be the consensus. I just knew that Iron II and Iron III ions react with oak. Thanks lots.

Edited by Tim Scarlatti

• 4 weeks later...

Is that to say that you think the knife should be called vingaroon? Interesting note about the tannins, because my chemistry teacher said the same thing today when I told her about it and showed a picture. I've google around and that seems to be the consensus. I just knew that Iron II and Iron III ions react with oak. Thanks lots.

vinegaroon is what dissolving iron in acid (vinegar) i just spelt it wrong :lol: . Name? what about Steve :P it looks like a Steve.

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.