English Boxwood (Buxus Sempervirens)

I am posting this to judge market interest in some particularly large diameter, genuine English Boxwood I've resently set up to dry. The shrub was planted some one hundred fifty years ago, and largest log diameter is around five inches. The logs are currently waxed in parrafin with bark on. I am unaware how much time is necessary for drying, so advise regarding that will be much welcomed, though I would figure three to five years as a safe measure.

The current weight of my lot is over two hundred pounds, which is more then I will need for myself in the forseeable future.

I'm in no rush to sell, however I feel it apropriate to offer what I can to this community in particular, as I've gained much knowledge and inspiration the years I've lurked here.

I can post photos and exact dimensions on request. I am not completely sure how to price this either, seems rather scarce. I will look more into that, but again, advise, or references elsewhere is much welcome.

Oh cool! English boxwood in the US is non-existant but, it would be nice to have - especially for period correct stuff.

I apologize in advance having no idea what your experience with cutting and drying wood is but, here are some tips to get the best results possible. When cutting and drying green wood, it almost always cracks to the pith of the log. You will have far more success preventing cracks, while it dries, if you remove the pith in some way, such as cutting "boards" out of the log. Even then it is a good idea to plan on, at least, a couple of inches extra, at each end of the board, in case of cracking. A rule of thumb is that green wood will take one year to dry per inch of thickness, slabbing it up to remove the pith will also provide you with "dry" lumber more quickly.

~Bruce~

i know i'm new here, but i would be quite interested in taking a look. i have been trying to grab up boxwood that has a more yellow cast to it. there are some pretty great sources for wood here in portland (gilmer wood, woodcrafters), but i have found that a lot of the boxwood i come across is a bit more pale than i would like. i found a really great chunk last year with a nice strong yellow color that i have been cutting up, but i don't think its going to last long because i really love the way it looks! here's a pic of the kind of color i would be hoping to get ahold of:

boxwood_ebony.JPG

Oh cool! English boxwood in the US is non-existant but, it would be nice to have - especially for period correct stuff.

Same here, I'd like to get my hands on some.

• 5 months later...

Someone was asking me to make some 17th century French trade knives once. But he wanted them based on a specific piece which required me to get ahold of some English boxwood and I couldn't find any. Had to turn down the project. That being said, I could definitely use some if you still have any extra on hand. Hit me with a pm with your price and shipping details.

I could kick myself just thinking about all the massive English Boxwoods I hauled to the dump, back in the day.
GEZZZZZZZZ!!!

Try Gilmer Woods - only bad part is $100 minimum order: https://www.gilmerwood.com/search_results.php?keywords=Boxwood

They have lots of other cool woods as well - be sure and browse around. They are located in Portland OR if you are near enough to go fondle the wood in person...I admit I have.......

Tom

Edited by tsterling

Good old Crape Myrtle wood looks just like boxwood. Is very hard, and once cured, does not seem to want to crack.
I may try a few handles in that. People I know still have hiking sticks of Crape Myrtle, that I gave them 30 years ago.

There are still dozens of old homes near me that have good looking 100 yr old E. Boxwoods. We need a good ice storm this winter, that usually frees a few up. :)

• 4 weeks later...