Rust is only Skin Deep

The "Dandelion"

Dandelion.jpg

Had a couple of pieces of an old (50's) rusty sawmill blade left and decided to make a quick implement for digging and cutting up dandelions from my lawn. (Thus the somewhat "mundane" handle shape and material)

As always, I never seem be be able to stop at just a quick down and dirty grind, heat treat, and put it to work. Nooooooo..... not me......

This one is 9 1/4" overall with a blade of 4 3/4" from tip to handle. The clip is as sharp as the lower portion of the blade. The texturing on the flats was done by nature (RUST).

Usually, someone will ask:

What is the steel?........... Answer.... I have no idea, probably something similar to 1070 or 1080 with, perhaps a tad of other alloys tossed in.

How did you heat treat it?............Answer... After I annealed it in my Evenheat, I profiled, ground, and soaked in vinegar to clean up some of the excess rust. I normalized 3 times, then soaked @ 1475° for 6 minutes. Queched in Parks 50, ran two tempering cycles at 400°.

Why did you use a sawmill blade rather than a known steel?........Answer....Because I can.

Hope you like................. Robert

Great knife Robert. nice crisp grinds. and i like your choice of wood for the handle. If his won't cut those dandelions, then there not dandelions!:) Again, nice knife.

I love that particular grind pattern. I have a simple knife of my own (that I meant to make one quick and dirty for fun and now have a knife with a serious hamon and some copper bolsters with epoxy drying as I type).

I just love that blade pattern, and the old rust texture is beautiful. It would look great with a hamon, you know...

nice one.

kc

depending on the type saw blade as it could be L-6 at any rate its a very sweet looking knife simple and functional

~M~

Very nice blade, I've got an old saw mill blade myself and have no idea what it is- I do know it is hard as hell to cut and drill, but it does make a decent sushi knife :P

I really like the blade profile and the textering from the rust is a nice contrast from the bevel, thanks for sharing.

Nice one, Robert!

Way too clean for a dandelion digger, though. :P

I actually try to get MORE dandelions in the yard, so I don't have to search so much for five gallons of flowers to make dandelion wine every year. :lol:

I wonder if that texture could be achieved in a reasonable time period? Any body have ideas?

That's a beautiful dandelion knife. :)

Sean - I'd say some kind of acid soak should texture similarly, or forging with texturing dies/hammer.

I wonder if that texture could be achieved in a reasonable time period? Any body have ideas?

Sean,

To practice one method, take a clean piece of blade steel and "daub" some cold gun blue on it in a random pattern. Give it a few minutes to dry, then immerse in full strength Clorox for a few minutes.

When you pull it out of the Clorox, you will think it is ruined. Wash it, dry it, and repeat as necessary until you get the desired effect. Once you have it, put a good coat of oil on it for a day or so.

That is how many do a "forced" old look to their blades.

Robert