Something to think about: Shop Safety

Hello:

Well I am going address something that I never thought I would have to......I spent a really UNCOMFORTABLE night...and it could of been worse..

I have been using Coco-Bolo, Amazon Rosewood, Purpleheart and ALOT of other tropical hardwoods since the late 1970's..Always wore a respirator and eye portection... NEVR once had any sort of problem..Until now...

I finshed up three Coco-Bolo gripped swords yesterday..I was covered as usual, head to toe with Coco-Bolo dust...wiped off and then gave myself a spritz off with compressed air and went about the rest of the day.. Nothing..then I started to itch...not bad at first..So I cleaned up and all was well..then about 11 last night I felt like my arms, back, neck and shoulders were on fire...I got up and I was red and ozzing stuff...This was NOT good...

The wife freaked and we went to the Dr and well.. CONTACT DERMATITIS..Gave me some sort of goo to smear all over the spots..and by spots I mean I look like one big MEASEL..and talk about itch and burn.

So it seems that I have over these many years develouped sensitivity to whatever toxins that are in these woods. Everything that wasn't covered got hit by the dust and well...couple that with body sweat..it got a reaction.. NOT PLEASANT at all...So I am spreading the word and making sure you use the right gear.

Advice from the Dr..Hose off or better yet shower right after I use any of these wood..or wear a hazmat suit...Sheesh...of all the things..

Now just a word to the wise..be careful with some of these woods...they can get ya...

JPH

thanks for the head up. I knew about developing allergic sensitivity, but never thought about it happening while working on edged weaponry. Thanks.

Hello:

Well I am going address something that I never thought I would have to......I spent a really UNCOMFORTABLE night...and it could of been worse..

I have been using Coco-Bolo, Amazon Rosewood, Purpleheart and ALOT of other tropical hardwoods since the late 1970's..Always wore a respirator and eye portection... NEVR once had any sort of problem..Until now...

I finshed up three Coco-Bolo gripped swords yesterday..I was covered as usual, head to toe with Coco-Bolo dust...wiped off and then gave myself a spritz off with compressed air and went about the rest of the day.. Nothing..then I started to itch...not bad at first..So I cleaned up and all was well..then about 11 last night I felt like my arms, back, neck and shoulders were on fire...I got up and I was red and ozzing stuff...This was NOT good...

The wife freaked and we went to the Dr and well.. CONTACT DERMATITIS..Gave me some sort of goo to smear all over the spots..and by spots I mean I look like one big MEASEL..and talk about itch and burn.

So it seems that I have over these many years develouped sensitivity to whatever toxins that are in these woods. Everything that wasn't covered got hit by the dust and well...couple that with body sweat..it got a reaction.. NOT PLEASANT at all...So I am spreading the word and making sure you use the right gear.

Advice from the Dr..Hose off or better yet shower right after I use any of these wood..or wear a hazmat suit...Sheesh...of all the things..

Now just a word to the wise..be careful with some of these woods...they can get ya...

JPH

Maybe the guys in the old days who made swords with simple wood grips covered with cord and leather might've had a point? Personally, I'm not all that crazy about working with exotics myself. Purpleheart makes me choke, respirator or not, cocobolo makes me itch, and ebony- well, ebony cracks if I look at it the wrong way. The only exotic I didn't mind too much was kingwood.

That's rough, sorry to hear the bad news. After hearing about what the wood dusts can do to lungs, at least you have good discipline about respirators. Hope you get better soon.

John

Hello:

Well after talking to a Dr friend of mine...this is not that uncommon...especially with the "exotics" such as the various Dalbergaria woods such as Amaqzon Rosewood, Coco-Bolo, Brazilian Rosewood, etc.. I was surprised to find out that alot of foplks get a reaction from the get-go..me..it took over some 35 plus years to develoupe ...This can be cumulative and one day it rears up its ugly head and bites you in your Hiennie ..IUt is the worst itching I ever had in my entire life..worse than that crud I got back in SE Asia..

There was one other time I got a bad reaction from wood..that was with lilac burl..THAT stuff put me in the hospital for three days..I got that ill...

Oh..I am very much a stickler when it comes to wearing a respirator...your lungs are your life..don't "play the odds"..cause sooner or later the House wins and you will loose, and loose BIG TIME...Lungs and eyes...after my accident with that lawn mower many years ago..I learned my lesson about eye protection...

As it is I am still very bright pink but not the oozing tomatoe red that it was last night... but oh man..that itch... I would sit in a tub of that oat meal stuff..but if I do..I know that my kids with their sense of humors would come after me with brown sugar and cream..That's all i would need... Seriously now...this is so bad an itch I would tell State Secrets to the Reds to get it to stop...the itch and the headache (the headache is from histiman I was told...) to boot..

Still I should be good to go tomorrow so I was told...

JPH

Jph. hope you get better soon. that wood dust is nuthin to take lightly. I worked a a Church furniture mfg, "pews" and stuff. and we used lots of exotics for embelishments on baptisimal fountains. My boss showed us pics of a guy that worked for them years ago, that was sanding ALL day without a mask on all sorts of exotics, and ended up in the hospital for over 6 months. NOT GOOD!!. People, Wear the gear. Again. Jph best wishes on getting better.

Hello:

Well after talking to a Dr friend of mine...this is not that uncommon...especially with the "exotics" such as the various Dalbergaria woods such as Amaqzon Rosewood, Coco-Bolo, Brazilian Rosewood, etc.. I was surprised to find out that alot of foplks get a reaction from the get-go..me..it took over some 35 plus years to develoupe ...This can be cumulative and one day it rears up its ugly head and bites you in your Hiennie ..IUt is the worst itching I ever had in my entire life..worse than that crud I got back in SE Asia..

There was one other time I got a bad reaction from wood..that was with lilac burl..THAT stuff put me in the hospital for three days..I got that ill...

Oh..I am very much a stickler when it comes to wearing a respirator...your lungs are your life..don't "play the odds"..cause sooner or later the House wins and you will loose, and loose BIG TIME...Lungs and eyes...after my accident with that lawn mower many years ago..I learned my lesson about eye protection...

As it is I am still very bright pink but not the oozing tomatoe red that it was last night... but oh man..that itch... I would sit in a tub of that oat meal stuff..but if I do..I know that my kids with their sense of humors would come after me with brown sugar and cream..That's all i would need... Seriously now...this is so bad an itch I would tell State Secrets to the Reds to get it to stop...the itch and the headache (the headache is from histiman I was told...) to boot..

Still I should be good to go tomorrow so I was told...

JPHFresgh aloe vera leaves will sooth the itch. just split it and rub the gel all over, you will feel much better.

I've been thinking about dust a lot lately... both the exotic wood dust.. but more importantly... the silicates and other fine particulates from the abrasives. Once that stuff gets in your lungs it stays the rest of your life creating scar tissue. Scary stuff. And I have not been the best about respirators due to poor fit, fogging, etc. But I finally bit the bullet and bought one these: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/trend-airshield-pro.html I can wear this thing all day and forget I even have it on. It is fast to put on and you can lift the face mask when you don't need the air wash. The face shield is impact resistant too.

Anyway... thanks for sharing your misfortune for the better of others... this stuff is becoming increasingly important as more and more makers emerge. AND... No OSHA for small shops keeping us in check. Education is the only way. Do some research on silicosis and you will start protecting those lungs!

I have had similar experiences with wicker, for some reason it makes me feel like I am having every hair on my body simultaneously plucked. While i am not really allergic to anything else, I have recently become allergic to sports drinks, apparently from over-consuming them. I'm not sure why the body starts reacting to things it is too commonly exposed to, but is quite a cruel trick that mother nature plays. Get well soon, JPH.

• 7 months later...

sorry to hear that Uncle Jimmy,

jim ferguson(of the twisted nickle fame) said he was highly alligeric to cocobolo...............................

when I worked at the G7L guitar factory I handled tons (yes tons) of wood indian rose wood and ebony along with ash, alder and maple

I got a wicked sinus infection after spending a week stocking a kiln with fingerboards(a 8X8 room circutlating hot dry air) the doctor took one look at the sinuses , steped back in discust and/or horror saying JEEZZUUSS!!!!!!!! 2 weeks on meds all better and the next shiupment of fingerboards cam in.............................................................

in most cases with any of the rosewood family you get a splinter its infected!!!

~M~