Just finished this handforged edc,
1084 blade
Natural micarta handle w/ ss pins and red vulcanized liners.

Oal -7 3/4"
Blade 3 1/2"

It has a definite swedge, but as it's forged in and wasn't ground at all, it'd harder to make out in photos.

DSC09274_zps40a78d5d.jpg

DSC09278_zps14766961.jpg

DSC09285_zps163dee37.jpg

(this handle material is to lovely not to get a closeup)....

DSC09281_zps5d627e62.jpg

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Very nice. I made a micarta handle once, but it smelled awful, how do you get rid of the smell?

by grinding bone after the micarta, lol. Make sure you wear a resperator when your grinding miactra. its very bad for your lungs, almost like asbestos. good ventilation is key. Nice looking knife by the way! I really like the sheath.

Nice job Stephen I like the shape and the forged finish!!

Kip

I love it . Never get my micarta to look that good.

Thanks guys.

John, I don't find the smelI to bad, maybe you had a different kind then I do, but I always wear a respirator while working with this stuff, so the smell that is does have doesn't bother me, and I vacuum up all the dust afterward, so that it doesn't linger in the shop.

Hoy, I don't know what kind of micarta your working with, but I know whenever I've used my homemade micarta it was real difficult to get a good finish. But this industrial stuff polishes up great, I shape it, sand to 400, wet sand to 100, then buff with red compound, comes out beautiful.
The wet sanding is what really helps get that good finish when I'm working it, then the buffing pops it with a final gloss.

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Thanks Stephan, yes I do wear a respirator while grinding it, but it even smells when it's finished. I wasn't using new stuff though, it was from an old electric panel or something. I'll have to try some new material sometime and see if that makes a difference.

electrical stuff is phonalic, it is also used in aircraft for holding hard high pressure tubing. it is similar to micarta, but it is different. It is made by combining phenol and adelhyde with heat and pressure, they add canvas for strength. Micarta is made more like fiberglass wet layup and a vacuum bag. I have only worked with phonalic is an A and P mechanic, so I never needed to polish it. I might have to put some on a knife now, because it does look pretty good.