Hey guys so i have a little problem with my fire brick forge, ive had it for less than 2 days, and it cracked all the way from top to bottom halfway through the length of the brick. its a soft fire brick that i drilled a 1'' hole through it longways and then a 1/4''hole in the side to the 1'' hole, i shoved the nozzel of my propane torch into the 1/4'' hole and started forging but now only a day later the crack is there, it didnt happen through the drilling process i know that much but it sucks that this already happened i was hoping to have this last for awighl while i grasped the basics of forging atleast. thanks for the help guys,

-Brandon

They almost always do that, shouldn't be a big deal, go to the hardware store and get some furnace cement to patch it up and you'll be good to go till it cracks again, then just patch that one up :)

There must be a pottery supply shop up near Aurora that carries kilns and supplies that you might need to repair one. They would be the people who carry them.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Also - wrap bailing wire around the brick to keep it together despite the cracks... another source for 2k+ bricks is construction companies who do "refractory" work - here in Eugene, Oregon there's an E.J. Bartells - but I don't think they go as far East as Illinois. And yah - they do crack with annoying frequency. Refractory cement helps... at some point it makes sense to get some Kaowool or some such and build a bigger forge, IMHO.

Posted Image
Michael Kemp

Old and Twitless