I can't get any hand saw, band saw, or other to cut a straight line. This makes handles very difficult. Does anyone have the ancient saw-fu that would help me?

-Jim

Quit drinking while you work :ph34r::D

Patience an practice. when using a handsaw, slow your cut down and cut outside the line and always keep your eye on where the sawblade meets the wood. better to be a little bigger and plane or sand it down to size.

also most handsaws are meant for crosscutting against the grain, pretty sucky trying to cut with the grain, just takes some practice and make sure your saw is sharp

as far as bandsaws, I haven't used one in 20 years but I do remember it having a fence. maybe someone else can chime in.

There is a bandsaw in the guild you can use.

Practice.

What kind of hand saw? Coping saw? Fret saw? Dovetail saw? Something else? How are you holding the lumber?

As for band saws, set-up is important. Is it tensioned properly? What kind of blade in the band saw, one for resawing or for scrolling?

Using any sort of fence?

All bandsaws have a bit of "lead" in them that tends to pull the cut to one side or another. A single-point fence is usually used to allow you to adjust for the lead and follow your line accurately if you're slabbing out boards. If you're doing it freehand, just go slower and pay attention to the way the blade is pulling, adjust accordingly.

Same thing with handsaws, just slow down and pay attention. And practice!

Dull blades on any saw will affect accuracy of cut.

Band saw - sharp blade, proper tension, and properly set blade guides will reduce the wandering.

Make sure that the upper guide is placed fairly close to the workpiece. Slowly make progress.

Use the widest blade you can, it will "steer" straighter, but won't turn as sharply.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

I suppose my first question is "what kind of band saw do you have ?"

Here's a couple of videos. This is how my saws are set up.

It's one of those "get what you pay for things"

Finger grooves anyone ?

Here's results using only a fence, a Stabilizer and a 1/4" blade. I rarely set up the big guide system since I usually only work max 2" thick materials. HARD materials.

cocobocotagoncaloblanks.jpg

cocoblanks.jpg

scroll.jpg

Clearly the tension on my little Ryobi bandsaw from HomeDespot is incredibly off, and I probably need to adjust the guides too.

The thing that really frustrates me is handsaws. I'll try going slower.

Thanks gang!

I took a look at a Ryobi once. There was enough slop in the build of the machine I wouldn't take one if given to me. Start checking auctions and get a good quality machine that can be set up properly. Of course this was a few years ago, it is possible that Ryobi quality has gone up since then.

ron

I catch really nice bandsaws going for decent prices on craigslist all the time. I will let you know if i come across a decent one.

Regarding hand saws, the Japanese hand saws work in reverse of how Western hand saws work. They have a very thin blade, and cut on the pull. I had two, years ago, and left them at a friend's house after refinishing some hardwood floors. They cut much straighter than any other saw I have used. Cleaning up the faces with a plane also helps, as well.