W1 and 1070 for pattern welding?

Barring a missed listing or post, i don't seem to be able to come up with anyone who has used w1 and 1070 for pattern welding. Any reason why you should/would not try this? I have some ollllld files running around which could either be a plain carbon or w1 from what i understand of file construction and i do have a billet of file welded to 1070, so i am curious to see if there will be any contrast between the 2 when all is said and done.

One thing is that you are using what are simple alloys that have no chromium and/or nickel to etch with different contrast. They both are basically iron, carbon, and a little manganese. You will have some pattern, but it will be weak. A better selection would be W1 and 15N20 which is basically 1070 with about 2% nickel.

Doug

as someone who really enjoys subtle patterns, i would say do it. and then clay it. you could make an amazing hamon. i did this one time and the pattern of the hamon was wispy and abrupt. like smoke in a breeze. i havent been able to replicate it since, but then. i havent pattern welded since.

Good to know everyone, thanks. I have a nice large sheet of 15n20, i think after i draw the bar out, and divide it into 3 chunks i will add 2 layers of 15n20 and leave it at that. .So i will draw it out one more time, and figure out if i am going to just go with laminated lines, or something more complex after.