Different kind of composite blade

Hello there! Thought I should show you a knife I made last year. It´s made of 3 bars of patternwelded rods. Back is a bar of almost invisible layers of iron (again, shipwreck). The middle is a pretty high layered twisted bar, which I dont remember the numer on, but hey, its how it looks that counts? :P And the cutting edge bar is just a straight laminate with again, shipwreck iron for the sides.

entvistknivforum.jpg

Hope you like it and feel free to critique or come with suggestions for handle etc.

-Jens

Lovely variation in those steels.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see it with a Cherry, Yew or maybe Bog Oak handle.

Best regards

Thom

I love it ! Shipwreck Iron? that's neat! So how about a driftwood handle?

Too bad all the shipwrecks here are impossible for me to get to. 55 degree water is a turn off lol! Looks beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply guys, have had a lot of work to do, but finally finished! Thank you for commenting, really appreciate it! =)

Too bad all the shipwrecks here are impossible for me to get to. 55 degree water is a turn off lol! Looks beautiful!

Ay too bad, im really lucky to be able to use it (and allowed to do so too) (Actually two separate ships in differant places.

båtvrakwoop.jpg

There is enough to take from there :P

I love it ! Shipwreck Iron? that's neat! So how about a driftwood handle?

Funny you should mention it! I actually have another seax project where I just use material from the shore. I.e. shipwreck iron and driftwood wood. ererrerer.jpg Here is a picture, you cant see the composite pattern but its made for the ocean :P well, except for the steel (but dont tell anyone ^^)

I like it very much! Yew or bog oak or Masur birch is my vote, I'm mildly allergic to cherry dust.

I was thinking of oak or birch, but as I use those for most of my knives (scandinavian knife making tradition woop!) ill probably use cherry and african blackwood or exclusively blackwood. Sorry to hear that, do you never use cherry?

Lovely variation in those steels.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see it with a Cherry, Yew or maybe Bog Oak handle.

Best regards

Thom

Seems people have similar taste :P I hope I´ll be focused enough to remember to show you guys the finished product later this summer.

I´ll be back at my forge around the start of July so crossed fingers!