Challenge to my man card and another part of a project

So, a girl I work with challenged me to make her a knife with a Hello Kitty theme. I'm not one to back away from a challenge, but I was facing a dilemma. How do I pull off a knife based on a Hello Kitty theme, and keep my man card. I had a kwaiken style blade that needed finishing, and I've been wanting to make a shirasaya style knife to practice the more delicate techniques required. I think I pulled it off, man card intact...

1095 steel, maple and ebony, copper and brass. It is certainly mot a master's level finish, but it has been the most challenging knife I've made yet.

The box is for a knife I did a while back, and I'll post a seperate showing, when the whole thing is completed. It is curly maple and aqua Fortis, with silver gilding wax to highlight the carving on the lid.

IMAG1443.jpg

IMAG1428.jpg

IMAG1420.jpg

IMAG1448.jpg

Beautiful woods and craftsmanship! Is that a hamon I see peeking through the glare? ;)

Sveinn

Yessir... I did a clay temper on the blade, and it came out nicely with lime juice... I will post more picture when I finish these two up, and I'll try and capture the hamon a little better...

Yessir... I did a clay temper on the blade, and it came out nicely with lime juice... I will post more picture when I finish these two up, and I'll try and capture the hamon a little better...

Wait, lime juice? For etching? Could I have details??

I take about two or three tablespoons of lime juice, heat it in the microwave, and then wipe it onto the blade. I know a lot of guys use lemon juice to bring out a hamon, but all I had was lime juice. Best results I've got, yet. It took maybe fifteen minutes of rubbing the blade with a paper towel dipped in it to get this effect. I've used vinegar with good results for showing the contrast between the harder and softer steel, but never got the dramatic white line to show up well. I've got a few other blades in the works, one of which is w2, so I am eager to try and get the same results.

Hey, Nate... Let's do food sometime. I want to pick your brain about shirasayas.

-J