A very good friend asked me if I would make a knife for his brother, as a wedding gift from him. I was slightly dumbfounded, because up until this one, everything has seemed like it was recreational. Needless to say I was quite honored to do so. When I asked him about a theme/style he told me to see if I could combine a Grizzly Adams and Lord of the Rings theme (yes, I realize that I have been on an odd quest to merge some bizarre themes, see my man card post if you don't believe me). So this is what I came up with. I forged a bowie style blade from W2, and though long and hard about the handle. I am absolutely amazed at the work of Andre' Andersson from northlandknives.com, and I find both his materials and style unique. I wanted something that would separate this knife from the typical bowie with a western handle, but Asian style just wasn't meshing for what I wanted. I ended up finding a very nice piece of spalted pecan, and decided to do something in a style inspired by Mr. Andersson's work. Anyhow, this is what I ended up with. When I get the sheath done, I will post pictures of the complete package, before I send it out.

IMAG1476.jpg

IMAG1475.jpg

IMAG1473.jpg

IMAG1471.jpg

Edited by Nate Bocker

Wow! Looks amazing! That is probably the strangest mashup I've heard of but you seem to have pulled it off. Excellent work.

The sheath is about 90% done. I'll post more pics later, when its all finished...

IMAG1514.jpg

Edited by Nate Bocker

I don't know about you Nate, but I think it is time we started a Northern Virginia Bladesmith Club.

-J

I think that's a great idea... My garage is always open, although there is limited space. I think I could safely host four or five people. Shade is limited, as well as parking, but my neighbors are very supportive of my hobby, and I've had a few guys over to forge... My belt.grinder is out of service, for now, but my forge and anvil are functional. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and forge, since I lost two blades this past week in a water quench. I've got some small hunters that I need to make for a few of the guys I work with that are getting out of the army over the next six months or so, as well as a new project for my second annual "man kit". If anyone else in the area is interested, please message me.

Edited by Nate Bocker