The Finished Blade From Arctic Fire 2013: Photos

Dave Stephens

There will be more photos soon, but here are some really nice shots by Jake Powning of our finished blade.

I wish you could hold it. It has an energy that is truly amazing.

Too tired (still!) to write more, but I'm sure the other AF smiths will chime in with thoughts and photos of their own soon.

DSC_8202.JPG

DSC_8204.JPG

DSC_8211.JPG

DSC_8216.JPG

DSC_8230.JPG

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly incredible. Still haven't been able to sit down and watch all of the footage, but seeing it being made elevates it to even higher beauty

Didos. Absolutely amazing.

“Fire and air, earth and water, were once considered the four elemental substances of our world. Among the ancients only the blacksmith worked with all four.” - From The Art of Blacksmithing by Alex W. Bealer

That is amazing that you guys produced that level of artistry with so many difficulties , changes and time frame.

Thank you so much guys for allowing us to watch.

Geoff

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

What a fascinating artifact... :)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Already told you, but I'll say it again: Impressive work.

Every part and aspect of this magnificent piece tells a story about how and by whom it was made.

I can only hope to be worthy some day of taking part on such an enriching experience as this.

Congratulations, guys!!

Sixto Ramos

lumenafragua.com

Such a cool design! Even if some of it had to be changed it still came out great! Hope you all gave yourself a little pat on the shoulders, 4 days aint a lot of time :P I´d praise you more but got to get back to scowering the videoes for the clues. Hope there´ll be AF 2014!

Truly inspirational guys, I hope you've all had a chance to put your feet up and drain a crate of ale in celebration. As everyone's been saying, to have the opportunity to watch you masters work......well, thanks isn't big enough. You've answered questions I didn't know I had and have really spurred me on.

Now, enough sitting on your laurels....back to work!

Best regards

Thom

"He who seeks rest finds boredom. He who seeks work finds rest." Dylan Thomas

great work guys. - is there going to be a riddle or something or are we just guessing blindly...? in which case I guess Dave's garden... can I have it now?

Also, I only saw a little bit of the live footage when you were about to cast everything and I posted on a comment on youtube to the tune of "good luck with the pour".. then It all went to pot... the redesign is pretty ace though and feels utterly whole and well considered.

great achievement!

once again... Daves garden...

Cheers.

Onen Hag Ol.

That is truly incredible. I am at a loss for words, and I deeply regret not being able to see the second half of the broadcast. I will be watching the archived videos and eagerly await the DVD release. I could not have imagined a more beautiful, inspiring product at the end of your journey with this project. All I can say is thank you to all who were involved to make this dream a reality.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Where is #2 Video it will not play ;( or I can not find it .

Sam

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge

Where is #2 Video it will not play ;( or I can not find it .

Sam

youtube thought they were taking some others stuff, and so took it down because of "copyright infringement"

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

We're working on getting Youtube to put it back up. We still don't know what the issue is.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Petr! We couldn't have done it without your speedy and amazing carving.

ANTLER FIGHT!

(That inside joke will make sense when the spoof video that parallels the "Cheesy Swordsmiths" video from AF 2012 is published.)

Thanks Petr! We couldn't have done it without your speedy and amazing carving.

ANTLER FIGHT!

(That inside joke will make sense when the spoof video that parallels the "Cheesy Swordsmiths" video from AF 2012 is published.)

i heard about that!

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

Home again!

Thanks to all friends who pulled together and made this an event that opened doors and new paths.

A great many thanks to Dave, Shane and Van who made this at all possible. Your generosity, drive and vision is priceless.