Dave Stephens

The Finished Blade From Arctic Fire 2013: Photos

Is that a stone on the haft, mid-ring, backside?

Jim,

Yes. It's a garnet in a silver bezel by Yul (um, J. Arthur Loose).

Dave

This is epic work guys. I've been so busy with Blade Show that I haven't had time to watch the videos.. but I can't wait!!

Epic, all of it and at every level.

Congrats gents.

I'm sad it didn't get its antenna hilt tho, I was looking forward to it.

And as an aside... why are people calling Jøl, Yul? That's how you originally intended it right Jøl/Yul?

I think it is actually Jól, but (of course) pronounced Yul. As in Brynner, thus the Norse spelling... ;)

Was fantastic experience just to watch it all happen - funny, after just a short time of watching I was unable to stand still, and did some hand-finishing work on the sword I am making at the moment - it was literaly impossible to watch you all at work and just sit by drinking cofee (as event happened each night 9 Pm to 1 Am my time :) ). Fantastic result and I am sure whoever will manage to guess the correct name of the blade and it's location will have a real treasure in his hands. (BTW, do we have to spell the name in runes or just the regular English will suffice?)

Call him by his given name and see if he answers. :ph34r:

I'm having trouble with the whole riddle thing. If there were clues in the broadcast, they were damn subtle, and I'm afraid the design shift at the end might have muddied the waters. I also would love to know if, when a guess is submitted, if it's an all or nothing, or if we get one part right, we'll be informed so we don't waste too much time trying to figure out what was already correctly guessed in order to get the perfect combination in one email.

Of *course* the clues were subtle. Have you met the Internet? It's really smart!!

There was a clue every day. At least one.

We'll be releasing a new one every month until it's figured out, plus the book/dvd will have a bunch.

And yes, it's all or nothing. Two words: name/town name. You don't get told if you get it half correct.

Yeah . . . it's tough, but then so is bladesmithing.

Grins,

Dave

I think it is actually Jól, but (of course) pronounced Yul. As in Brynner, thus the Norse spelling... ;)

I'd use the Norse spelling, but I don't know how to get that cute little dash over the 'o' :wacko:

Grins,

Dave

Using windows, it's "alt-0243" (hold down the alt key and type 0243, let go, ó.) ;) On a Mac it's option-e, o.

Guys. It's Julian. And Jul is the nickname. Spelled Jul. And pronounced "yule." Yes, it used to legally be something else that I HATED all my life. Call me by THAT name and I'll ignore you until the ends of the Earth. I'll turn your picture to the wall. You will be as a ghost to me.

Got it? ;)

I had a loooong recovery from the trip, as two weeks before I taught a week-long intensive at the New England School of Metalwork and went straight from there to a camping festival the was nothing but 35 degrees and constant... I mean CONSTANT rain and wind. Straight from that to the airport for the red-eye flight and when I landed I literally put down my luggage, grabbed a beer and got to the smelter building. The flight home was a bit of a sleepless fiasco as well, so pardon me for taking a couple days to recover. ;)

I had a wonderful, inspiring, and exhausting time! Thanks to Dave and Shane, as well as Dave's lovely wife, who cooked and cleaned for a bunch of crazy smiths. The piece was great and my only regret is that I forgot to use the circle punch on the stamped design of the scabbard throat in the upper triangles! ;)

Right back into the fire with a couple rings and a gladius in the works...

Dave, that's some really excellent photography, thank you for sharing.

Jul, I hope you know I'm just kidding. I absolutely respect you and hope you know that, including the creative ways you identify yourself in name, with ink, and with your work. I find it enviable sometimes as I slog 9-5 in government chains. If you're coming to Oakland later this year, I have something for you I hope you'll enjoy.

Edited by Christopher Price

Great photos . They really show the intensity of the week.

A ton left to post. I'll be going through them over the next few days.

Our photographer, Bianca Clifton, did an *outstanding* job!

man I've watched the live broadcast and then seeing the photos you guys are the very definition of inspiring and one day one blessed day I will be as good as you guys are and maybe even learn a thing or two from you guys at a hammer in or something of the like.

That figure on the smelting furnace; that's probably a big hint.

Seems everyone who has a name associated with the Roman general/emperor (me included), detest it. I'm Julio myself, and like Jól, I detest the given name. Might change it to the basque form seeing as my surname is basque.

Question, is the name going to be in an ancient language, or can we guess in English?

Edited by Hÿllyn

If this question was answered in the broadcast I apologize, but what has/will happen to the back up blade that Dave made?

If this question was answered in the broadcast I apologize, but what has/will happen to the back up blade that Dave made?

I'm keeping it.

Well, the host has to get *some* perks!

I'll be finishing it. I'll be hilting it differently, simply because I don't have the skills to hilt/scabbard it like the AF team did.

I'll, of course, share with the group.

--Dave

I was hoping that was the case. Similar grind then?

Wow, when I grow up I want to be like you guys. Great work. And it looks like a great time. Congratulations.

Todd

Thanks for making the trip and joining us in Alaska gentlemen. Very glad to see that everyone made it back home safely.

Arctic Fire was epic this year and a wild success...an awesome experience to have been able to share with such good people.

It was an honor to be able to host you guys for this and you're certainly always welcome at my home should you find yourself in Alaska or Florida in need of an anvil, forge or just a place to crash.

Cheers!

Shane

Seems everyone who has a name associated with the Roman general/emperor (me included), detest it. I'm Julio myself, and like Jól, I detest the given name.

I don't mind Julian- I mean, the guy tried to revive the Roman pantheon... ;)

-Jul

Anyway. Back to work, with some jewelry and a sexy gladius to finish up!