Romano-Celtic short sword

and as further proof that you can have ADD without the H, here's a not particularly historical Romano-Celtic short sword i started on today - 14" 1095 blade, antler and ebony handle, should end up about 20" over all. the design is really just a place-holder on this one - just gonna play with it and see what looks right...

romano-celtic short sword wip 1.jpg

• Like 1

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

handle elements roughed out, bar the pommel/peening block and guard plate. hoefully get it heat treated once it gets dark...

romano-celtic short sword wip 2.jpg

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

woo-hoo. sucessfully hardened - i'll try and snap a pic before bed...

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

clayed up:

romano-celtic short sword clay.jpg

and after the first temper cycle

romano-celtic short sword temper.jpg

tomorrow: straightening and grinding...

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

blade tempered 2x at 425f, and then over night descending from 400f to 325f, straightened, and ground down to sharp at 100 grit. now i have to grind it through 180 grit to 320 grit ready for foundation polishing, and drill and set reinforcing/locating rods through the various handle parts, make the guard plate and peening block/pommel and that'll be this one done until i get it over to Orbost for polishing/carving etc.

romano-celtic short sword ground.jpg

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

thanks guys

hamon starting to appear:

romano celtic short sword hamon.jpg

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

made a start on the carving:

romano-celtic short sword carving.jpg

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed the beginning of this post. Almost glad I did, I got to see the work further along and all at once.

I am enthralled with this sword, the blend of Roman and Celtic influences really speak to me.

Can't wait to see the final product.

• 5 months later...

you are doing great work on this one. What steel is the blade? You got a very notare-ish (wavy) hamon with a rather straight layout of clay. I am guessing it wasn't 1075 and probably not W2. Just guesses, though.

I have had some serious problems trying to get hamons on longer double-edged blades (always getting too much distortion at the turnback/tip).

well done! thanks for sharing the process with us.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

This is looking great Jake.

Kevin, the blade is 1095 (see first post)

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith