Fikes/Fogg inspired big chopper

Since I saw the Cloud Cutter and the Dragonfly from Jimmy Fikes and Don Fogg I've always wanted to make one.

It's got about an 15" blade and about the same for the handle. about 5/16" at it's thickest with a tapered tang.

Snakewood handle scales with a multistrand Japanese styled cord wrap.

BCfl.jpg

bc4.jpg

BCham.jpg

BCham2.jpg

BCWRAP.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures, I was pressed for time and this is as good as I got

I didn't see either of them, were they there? it would have been really cool if they had seen it. I had so much fun with and it was such a departure for me I might make another.

Very cool! There are some really nice lines throughout the piece.

What are the darker horizontal lines through the hamon? I don't think I've seen any so prominent before.

OOOHHH Daddy Likely that I want it for home defense with a back Scabbard over my right shoulder ;) However , My 7 year old would take it from me for herself .

Sam

that is great, Matt. I am seriously impressed.

Beautiful piece!! That snakewood works very well with the length of the handle. I like your take on the Kiodai Murasaki Jabara Maki style of wrap. What did you use for cord?

Hey Stuart, I used 1mm Chinese knotting cord. It comes in many sizes and colors and I dont have to try and sew strands together like the cord the Japanese use.

Stewart, actually the peice I had to buy was a lot bigger, almost 28" long but it had really nice grain. So I have some left for another project down the road.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Matt... don't mind me. I'm just gasping in awe and quivering with lust.