Sixto Ramos

New shop ready. Let's forge...

Greetings everyone!!

It's been a while since my first posts. I've been busy.

I realised I needed better equipment and a bigger shop (my re-tuned barbecue and battered anvil were no longer enough).

So I found a new place and made myself some machinery: an air hammer, a gas forge, a double electric oven for heat treatment and a belt grinder.

Since I have very little money, almost all the meterials came from scrapyards or were salvaged from different places.

And as I had almost no tools and I'm not expert at machining or welding, the look is not very proffessional.

But they work fine (more or less). :)

Now they're finished, it's time to do some serious forging...

This is the shop's front. The gate still has no glass on the windows, but it makes for a very efficient ventilation system...

1.jpg

The air hammer. A bit crappy, but hits hard...

2.jpg

The gas forg. Still a prototype.

3.jpg

The electric oven. Temp controlled by two separate PIDs, so I can have quenching and tempering at the same time. Doors are removed for the pic. Also missing the removable trays that hold the pieces and keep them separated from the coils.

4.jpg

The grinder. 2"x72" belts. Speed controlled with a frecuency variator. I made another arm with a flat plate and two wheels.

5.jpg

Well. That's all. Thanks for watching.

Sixto

well...first of all the door is rocking it!

second....from now on you have now excuse for not bringing forth greatness :P ! Well done sir, and have lots of fun in it.

Edited by Labros Papageorgiou

btw i just read that you have "no experience in machining or welding " :P........ well I think you are doing preeeeety good for your self if you are able to build an air hammer :P..and all the rest for that matter!

well done, well done

Nice work! Just curious, what did you use for the belt grinder wheels? They look really nice.

Edited by John F. Ellis

Thanks, John!

As I said, all recycled materials. The yellow/orange wheels came from pallet jacks. And the tracking wheel is from a longboard (skate) set...

I'm super jealous!! that place looks amazing!!! Nice job on all the equipment!! some of us are still using brake drum forges and 3x18 hobby sanders!! Well done and I can't wait to see what you can do with that stuff!!!

WOW!! You *made* all that equipment?!

That's really nice. I'm a huge fan of clean, pleasant-to-work-in, shops. It seems you've really made a great space to build some nice blades.

Congratulations on the new smithy. May it give birth to many worthy blades!

--Dave

One question, do you have the plans for the two heat treat ovens? As that is exactly what I have been looking to build. My shop is in an old Military building with Military grade 220 might be 240 not sure, and I have permission to use the line, I just needed an excuse and you just gave it to me.

Thank you guys!!

Dave, I share your taste about working places. Actually, your place served as a kind of inspiration. Until last year, all I had seen were the usual dark, old, filthy places I'm sure we all associate with traditional blacksmithing. And so, I was doing my best in a 2x2m (earthen floor) shed at my grandparent's. But when I saw your shop at last year's Arctic Fire videos, I though: "Now, that's a place I would love to work in".

John. No, sorry. I know I should have made plans, but I built it from my head. I got a bunch of firebricks and started piling them until I got two chambers long enogh to fit a long blade. Then I took measures and bluit the exterior steel frame. Finally I installed the coils, probes, wiring and controllers. Sorry if it doesn't help much. But I'm no expert at this. Anyway, if I can help you with any doubt, just ask.

Great space! I appreciate making your own tools, I have done much the same except for the Little Giant Trip Hammer.

Excellent set of doors as well.

Thank you guys!!

Dave, I share your taste about working places. Actually, your place served as a kind of inspiration. Until last year, all I had seen were the usual dark, old, filthy places I'm sure we all associate with traditional blacksmithing. And so, I was doing my best in a 2x2m (earthen floor) shed at my grandparent's. But when I saw your shop at last year's Arctic Fire videos, I though: "Now, that's a place I would love to work in".

That makes my day! Thanks Sixto!