gemstones for handles

Ok i got a mess of gemstone slabs that i want to use for knife handles, most of them are just about the perfect size to use on full tangs. Ive never tried to do this before so (always wanted to though) i need some advice on attaching them to blades.

Edited by davidmw

I do a lot of cabbing with slabs and stuff; let me know if you need help on which stones would crack or not. I'll come back later with ideas on attaching.

If it helps at all, i plan on using some quarts, turquoise, tiger eye ( blue and gold) , indian paint rock and some other cool looking slabs that i have no idea what they are. Maybe later ill take a few pics and post them when i get the time.

I would love a tutorial on working with gemstones for knife handles. I can do wood work, but working with gemstones is definitely new.

David fill out your profile where are you located state ? folks may be close to you to help you out .

Sam

Hey, david, I recommend going to gem shows and rock hound shows in your area. There are usually some very good suppliers, craftsmen, and experts that are very helpful in getting you what you want at the right price. I actually have some contacts of my own here in Oregon that can do things like cut to basic shape and dimensions that I need for butterfly cut slab handles and scales, as well as general settings, as well as people that can do the settings for me on my more expensive pieces. Also, as Samcrow said, get your location on up on your profile. I found my business partner on a forum like this because of the location mentioned on his profile. There is a lot of information on this forum, but if there is someone near you that can help you out in person, well, thats priceless.

Sorry ive been too lazy about messing with my profile. There its done. But your right, you can never have too contacts. Im always looking forward to meeting other knife makers.Anyways a buddy of mine is a big rock hound so he hooked me up on the slabs i got and wants me to make him a couple of knives with some of the tiger eye for handles. Luckily he wants the gold ones cuz im not comming off of the blue haha. Handle material isnt always free but the way i trade its pretty close. So i gotta get to work on those slabs pretty soon. I can cut and shape them pretty easily. Its drilling holes and attempting to use pins is what scares me. Im probably just going to use corbys. Im still thinking of the best way to do this without ruining some slabs.

Hi raymond,

It is indeed well worth it to be in driving distance with other knife makers. Im lucky like that. Most of the ppl that i know thats doing this are guys that have been making knives all their lives(not all of them though). So its handy to have a few pros to talk with and visit. I kinda got adopted into this craft that way.We gotta look out for one another.