I've been working on this narrow sax (did I get it right, blade taxonomists? :) ) for a while. 17.75" OAL, 11" BL, 5/16" thickness at the handle. Handle is walnut, maple, and browned wrought, built with reference to one of Petr's pieces that I admire a lot. Tool steel. Sheath is maple, browned mild steel rings, bronze nails and a little leather at the top. The carvings are inspired by some very old designs found in Ireland but I tried to give it a little more Urnes. Not everything went right with this but all-in-all I'm pleased and I learned a lot. I hope you like this..... thanks for any advice and comments!

DSC02788.JPGDSC02783.JPGDSC02775.JPGDSC02779.JPGDSC02789.JPGDSC02772.JPGDSC02793.JPG

I like it!

Great fit and finish. I just like looking at that blade to bolster joint.

Wooden sheaths for knives just dont sit right with me, but I think the carving you did on it is well done. Nice work!

I'm not going to comment on the historical accuracy, since I know very little about it, but overall... Well, damn! I'd say you executed it exquisitely! I love it!

I feel this is your finest work to date... while I'm not blade taxonomists :) it seems like the edge could be thinner, or at the very least a little more rounded or "apple seed". And I do agree with Luke about the sheath.

Really though excellent work!

Love the blade and handle! I bet it feels like it needs to lop a few limbs when held. B)

The sheath is really nice work, but for me it just doesn't go with the blade. Darned personal opinions, anyway... :lol:

Phil, That is dead seaxy!!!!

Wonderful job on the fit and finish from me too. I wish I could do that.

You sold me on the walnut, for a project, or 10, I'm doing. Just got a huge pile of walnut dumped on me. :)

Love the braided strap!!!!!

Congrats!

Mark

Thanks everyone.

To be honest I wasnt sure about wood for the sheath but I wanted to practice carving and, most importantly, I just fight with leather. And I didnt come up with a way to make it one of those horizontal sheathes that people usually pair with these blades. Then there was the choice of walnut versus maple for it and Im not sure if maple was best choice but I wanted to match the inset on the handle.

Runals and Schuster I'm still working on the edge, sharpening (another thing I struggle with) so some steel will be removed. Its actually really TOO apple-seed shaped and needs to lose a couple of degrees. But it balanced a few inches above the 'guard' and has a real nice heft and chop power to it. Limb-lopper for sure, Alan! :)

Labros, yes two woods, dark is walnut and lighter is maple. The walnut is its natural color. For the maple I swabbed it with brown leather die, let it get a little tacky, wiped excess off, then lightly scrubbed with 0000 steel wool until I liked how it looked. Turned out darker than I expected, but I like how it developed hi-lo contrast, and the color has grown on me.

Phil that's beautiful great job, the carving is awesome over all fabulous!!!!

Kip

Edited by Kip Kaiser