Chasaji (tea-scoop) in shibuichi and silver

Snowflakes and snow in general are a particular fascination of mine and I've wanted to use that theme in these materials for a number of years.

"How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated! I should hardly admire them more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat." H.D. Thoreau, Journal, 1856

The main piece is 50/50 (copper/silver) shibuichi from Phil Baldwin. Two snowflake inlays in fine (pure) silver and one small inlay of 70/30 (copper/silver) shibuichi. Also a bunch of inlayed and chased fine-silver wire bits using five sizes of wire from 22g to 30g.

This piece has been one of my most demanding both in design and technique. It's the most abstract work I've done. I decided to make the snowflakes mostly of the "plate" type as I thought that more solid form would contribute to the layering effect I wanted. Also the more feathery type of flake would be beyond my capability to render at this scale! The hexagons also had to be very convincingly symmetrical.

Although I took design hints from a silver vase by Nakagawa Joeki in the catalogue Flowers Of The Chisel from Malcolm Fairley Gallery, I had to make many decisions about materials, placement, depth etc. relating to this form. The Shadow-Master (wife Jean) was indispensable as usual, especially in the placement and size of elements.

length 113mm(4.5")

IMGP7246PSEweb.jpg

Simply stunning, a perfect balance of empty space and filled space. I love it, and i have to say i might steel that bottom snow flake for a guard one of these days. :)

Jim, you've done it again! Convincingly symmetrical, indeed B) I would never be able to be that precise and graceful. A true work of art!

I especially love the larger one along the bottom edge. Perfect!

John

I always enjoy your work, Jim, and this is no exception. You always remind me how I need to practice my engraving more

I'm afraid any compliments would be an understatement Jim, I send them regardless :)

I'm going to make myself a cup of silver needle white tea now to celebrate this lovely chasaji.

Thanks very much guys. Hyllyn, I hope you enjoyed that tea!

Here are two more shots. The plain side is the scooping side.

IMGP7278PSEweb.jpg

IMGP7280PSEweb.jpg

Thanks very much Andrew.

I missed Phil when I was in Seattle in April. They were traveling.

Cheers,

Jim

I can't wait to see more of this! I am considering picking up wood carving to add some beauty to my work, and hopefully some of those skills will let me learn a little of this work as well.l

I love the color. I'm used to those shibuichi patinas that come out of the foresty end of the pallete, but this is something really different. Love it.

jim,

your work always gives me a sense of serenity. something to ponder and meditate on. this one is no exception.

thanks.