Third knife and first Hamon

Silent Matt

Kinda designed it to be a fishermans knife for my brother in law. It has a fairly thin blade (.080 next to the handle). I should have spent more time on the finish but I was being lazy.

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

Edited by Silent Matt

Thanks Karter. Yes Caleb, it's oak with oak pins and copper shim stock next to the blade. I was hesitant to use it but it was 6000 years old (at least that's what the Home Depot salesman said)...

Edited by Silent Matt

Great looking hamon and I'm diggin the rustic oak handle!!! If I could give a little advice, I would not get so thin on the front of the handle and round the square corners off a little to make it flow a little. Make sure you take pic's of your first knives it's fun to look back!!! Awesome job for your third knife. :)

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ www.thekaisercustomknives.com

Thanks Kip, I don't have the handle styles down yet and wasn't sure what to do with the front. Maybe I'll sand some more on the back and see how it looks. I've been taking plenty of pics to look back on. I think Hamon's are addicting...

Bog Oak??? and where the H#$# does home depot stock bog oak!.I would take that with a massive grain of salt.

I suppose it could be reclaimed from Lake superior or something but if that is the case that is awesome!

Was it inspired a bit by Jakes Dwine a little ?

I think it looks great and the copper shims are a nice touch.

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Geoff, I was joking about the age of the Oak. The knife was designed as I made it. I haven't drawn up a knife or really planned out what I was gonna do so far. I think I should start, to keep the designs different. I need to look up Jakes Dwine.

Edited by Silent Matt