Pattern weld sneak peak + non-ferrous test

Hi folks!

I have been hard at work, getting things done and making dust. One of the projects I am in the middle of is a pattern welded sword that has 8 rods in the core, and an edge of somewhere abouts 1000 layers. I couldn't resist taking a snap of the pattern, and the big grey area is shear steel so after a successful heat treat and finish, there will be much more interesting texture going on. But still looks pretty neat. This one is going to be Vendal inspired so no fuller, just a sexy lenticular cross section all the way down.

I was going to run heat treat tonight, but my furnace wasn't getting up to temp... Odd, turns out a tiny piece of teflon found its way into the tip and restricted the flow. Cleaned out the problem, but it was too late to carry on (wait, was that a sound judgment call? How/when did I learn that?!) so I decided to play with some non-ferrous wire I got for doing inlay on hilts. Pretty decent progress I think.

Tomorrow starts another busy week!

DSCN2661.JPG

DSCN2650.JPG

DSCN2651.JPG

DSCN2652.JPG

very slick! I'm jealous

Well, crap. :blink: That does it, I'm not going to finish the one like that I have on the bench, it would droop in shame to be compared. :lol: You nailed the pattern, in both the blade core and the twisted wire inlay. Yowza! :ph34r:

I hope you are not fullering that as the pattern is perfect at this depth.....

You are a very, very Bad Man. ;)

Wow this is next level Michael! Really looking forward to seeing the result :)

Thank you for all the thoughts and comments! The heat treat rig is getting up to temp and that time shall soon be upon the blade.

No fuller on this one Owen, it is currently at around 880g, and I think it could still use a touch of reduction at the tip, but between removing decarb and dropping in my edge I think it should be perfect. I actually wish I had the "timing belt platen" that you used at Arctic Fire to try out.

A bad man indeed, that way it is more fun :)

It was my first time wrapping the core material in this fashion Jake, and I think it prefer it over terminating them straight. It adds a groovy level of interest, and the way that these core rods opened up while forging gave me a pretty unexpected pattern.

Alan, you should finish it! This art is all about the journey, learning, and growing :) I had a whole bundle of rods that I was twisting for this sword, and then decided to scrap them and start over. They were great practice ;)

Awesome, Michael! Very interesting pattern. You do multi-bar sword blades amazingly well, dude.

Is this your first time doing inlay? Looks pretty good. That's on my "need to learn one day" list.

Cheers,

Dave

Michael, that is really cool. the wrap in the pattern rocks. Hope it lives to adulthood. I am going to have to do one of these in Chinese style. Thing is, they tended to make the whole blade out of twisted bars and call it, "Flowers."

kc

The character in that pattern and the amazingly clean pattern junctions at the tip are astounding.

Can't wait to see it post heat treat.

Amazing work Michael!

Great Michael. This will be a stunning sword!

I hate you in a loving way :-)

i think that this ^^ some up the feelings a lot of people on this forum have for each other :lol: :lol: myself included

Edited by dylan holderman

It was my first time wrapping the core material in this fashion Jake, and I think it prefer it over terminating them straight. It adds a groovy level of interest, and the way that these core rods opened up while forging gave me a pretty unexpected pattern.

Yes, definitely! It adds another level of beauty to the pattern, everything flowing with the shape of the blade like that. To my eye the straight termination one often sees just doesn't look right. Did you use the fish-mouth method, or...? Regardless of how you did it, it looks awesome.