Pattern weld sneak peak + non-ferrous test

LAME!!! That sucks I am super excited to see the finished product.

Godspeed

Geoff

Snap crackly pop. Sometime things break in heat treat, sometimes they break while straightening. Better in the shop than in the hands of a customer.

Next one will be better.

WTF JHM ......you are kidding me.

Why is it we always hurt the ones we love!!!! I am suffering strophousen by proxi ....

Heartbreaking.

It was a perfect pattern. Sad to hear it failed. I dunno about anyone else's shop, but when I'm working the only ones to survive are the ones with flaws that will continue to bother me for months and months--only the good die young.

Part of the problem with this attempt was I wasn't 100% confident in it. There were a ton of first, and I approached this project with the mindset that this was going to be my masterpiece. This was going to be the piece that I was going to look at when it was finished and say "Next one couldn't be better"

In fact I didn't accomplish this. There were a few times that I second guessed myself, there were a few times in the process that I thought "well next time" and deep inside I knew there were tell tale signs that this was going to be a learning experience and that improvements would happen the next time around.

It is a true fact that as we create, all we see are the flaws, the imperfections, the things we could have done differently. But part of this craft is learning to transcend this mentality, with a level of perfection that is highly personal, yet perfectly perfect. The art of creation is also the art of getting kicked in the balls and getting your guts pulled out, but what really counts is what you do after and how you persevere. Find the good, let go of the bad, and sever all attachments. In the same heat treat I had another pattern welded sword, a pattern welded seax, and two crucible steel knives come out successfully. Factor in the fact that the pattern welded sword too a dive into the salt tank and had to be fished out and rescued and I would say that in the grand scheme of things it isn't that bad.

Focusing on the good brings success.

Sweet Patten !

The art of creation is also the art of getting kicked in the balls and getting your guts pulled out

At the same time? Sounds bad!

Sorry to hear that this particularly handsome blade got taken by the "rent-collector".

It's my philosophy that it is better he takes something like that than an eye or a finger.

That's really too bad. It was an incrediblel piece, and your mentality really speaks volumes. Pick up your head, get back to the forge, and get back to it. Words to live by!

John