Olympic mountains, with knife wood collecting

really pretty scenery, almost alpine. But that last picture?..... you didn't take any of that home for a craft project I hope!

Oh if you make your home where the buffalo roam , and the deer and the antelope play ,

theres stuff on the ground, that will cause you to frown, if you do not watch where you step .

Great finds! I'd love to see how pacific yew holds up in a knife handle. What are the other two though?

Also, if you haven't tried it, vine maple (or douglas maple), is another local wood that makes absolutely awesome handle material. It's extremely durable and can take a very high polish. It also forms burl between branches quite often, so if that's what you're into, it's not too hard to find.

-Dan

Thanks guys. Dan the one on the left is pine root, the one in the middle is mountain hemlock (I have serious doubts about it but figured I would dry it out and see how it looks). I'm most excited about the yew. I hope these will work out in spite of the smaller diameter (2-3").... I've glued the ends and will store them away for a year or so. Good point about vine maple, I'll have to grab some next time I'm out there.

Finally, if anyone has tips on seasoning this wood for blade purposes, would love to hear it.

Where in the Olympics were you? I thought there was still snow at that elevation.

Todd

Good to know, I know the spot. We went there on the first overnight hike we ever took with my kids about twenty five years ago. My son was about 4 and daughter about two. My wife carried my daughter most of the time in a backpack. My son walked with his nearly empty backpack. I was the Sherpa. We headed out from Obstruction Point and I was carrying so much gear I could hardly walk. There was a sign at the trailhead that said no overnight camping for the first mile. I struggled along until I figured we had gone a mile, dropped the gear and that's where we camped. I don't know if they remember it but I do. It actually was a great trip because we did it.

Todd