Bragi (short sword - Viking inspired)

Here are a few shots of the next build I will be attempting. It's got a few new things in this build that I have never done.

1. Concave fuller (I will be making a fullering tool and forging first)
  2. Intricate 360º handle carving
  3. Inlaid copper wires in hilt and pommel

I'm pretty excited about this commission project. Also, doing a digital rendering of the sword first was new and I can see how helpful that is going to be.

Follow the build here: http://rashystreakers.tumblr.com/tagged/bragi

tumblr_mojjqzeiQL1qz9mvno2_500.jpgtumblr_mojjqzeiQL1qz9mvno1_500.jpg

The client chose to go with option A, which quite frankly I was hoping to do anyhow. I would love to hear your thoughts.

tumblr_mmu53tthys1qz9mvno1_500.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow dude! That's incredibly awesome! Your design alone is a sweet work of art. If I may throw my opinion in, I'd really love to keep the hat/helm pommel, but it's very small in contrast to the sword-sized lower guard, so I would, for proportion's sake, roll with a much shorter crossguard like on blade option B, or even shorter, closely hugging the blade profile. Profile B fits the best in my option, but that's just my take. You might also try drawing it up with a less broken-back shape and seeing which one you like better. Just a suggestion!

This is so sweet, keep up the awesome work!

i really like the concept, but i agree that the smaller cross guard better suits the handle, and would also suggest that you reduce the taper on the blade a littl and go for a more rounded tip - that blade shape says late medieval to me more than viking...

Handle is awesome but I agree with the guys that the lower guard is little to big for the upper guard and pommel. I think when you say it complete you would agree. I just finished one and my lower guard was more like your B and is still a little big.

In respect to the blade I think that a broadsax would be the cats@$$.

Anyways just my opinion it will be pretty rad regardless.

1371498311873.jpg

sweeeet. I love B the most. great designs bro.

Great handle design, I can't wait to see it finished. One more vote for the smaller lower guard.

I'm with Jake on the taper and pointed tip if you want to go more traditional rather than inspired. The single edged swords found in Norway and western Sweden tended to be long with blades as long as around 32". In Swords of the Viking Age there are a few double edged blades down to around the 25" length. The design that the customer has chosen in more into the middle ages

Doug

I'll throw in agreeing with the guard from the second one. Smaller definitely fits the handle and pommel shape. Stunning design concepts, can't wait to see it born!

John

Thanks for all the feedback and compliments!

Here's a shot of an updated option A:

bragi_shape_refined.jpg

You guys really got me thinking about that guard width and I think you are right, smaller will be better. Also, with the shorter blade length I won't have as much weight to balance in the handle anyhow.

I like the trio and I may make versions of the other two blades after I finish this one. Maybe with a different Norse god on each of them. I'm going to start forging tomorrow.

Handle is awesome but I agree with the guys that the lower guard is little to big for the upper guard and pommel. I think when you say it complete you would agree. I just finished one and my lower guard was more like your B and is still a little big.

In respect to the blade I think that a broadsax would be the cats@$$.

Anyways just my opinion it will be pretty rad regardless.

Thanks for sharing the pic. I think you are right. Sometimes it's hard to see that even in a rendering. I was worried about the weight balance not having enough in the handle but I can see from your pic that I really wouldn't want more there. Do you have any more images from your build on that one?

I'm with Jake on the taper and pointed tip if you want to go more traditional rather than inspired. The single edged swords found in Norway and western Sweden tended to be long with blades as long as around 32". In Swords of the Viking Age there are a few double edged blades down to around the 25" length. The design that the customer has chosen in more into the middle ages

Doug

Unfortunately right now I am limited with the length of blade I can produced due to a heat treating capability of only 29 inches. So for now I have to adapt everything I make to fit within that range. I will reduce some of the taper though as suggested and try for a more rounded tip. I can already see that working out better in the renders. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for sharing the pic. I think you are right. Sometimes it's hard to see that even in a rendering. I was worried about the weight balance not having enough in the handle but I can see from your pic that I really wouldn't want more there. Do you have any more images from your build on that one?

Mine is not as long as you have planned.The point of balance was a real pain, ended up farther back then I wanted it even after hollowing it out as much as I could with a lathe.

check it out here hope it helps .http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25265&hl=

Wow. Great rendering and concept! Love the theme of the blade, too!

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life.

--Dave

Thanks Dave! I hope I can pull it off as well as I planned. The planning is something I have learned from watching the Arctic Fire videos. The team you assembled has just the right amount of varied skills to learn from. I loved the sessions from 2012 too. Getting to see all you great blade-smiths show off your craft so that others may learn has been invaluable to my progression as a blade smith. Because of that I started trying to do the geometric designs like Peter Johnsson. I'm still not sure I quite grasp it right but at the very least I now make a full schematic to work from. After seeing David DelaGardelle's session on drawing out the swords I had a "Duh" moment. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator, of course I should be drawing out my blades and handles even before I draw them out ;) But thank you for helping to highlight these people for the community.

I hear you, Josh. I can't make anything longer than I can get into my kitchen oven unless I want to use a torch to draw the steel with and austinizing the blade's a little tricky too.

Doug

My attempt at following Peter Johnsson’s guide for geometric balance in sword design.

I still struggle with the concept as it seems like I was arbitrarily finding the sword in circles and squares. It took me about five times to finally feel like it was guiding me and not just a bunch of guess work. I’m still not sure if this is “right” but this time I felt like I got the shapes, position and dimensions for the length and handle areas from the shapes and not the other way around.

Next I need to settle on the widths and then to the forge!

tumblr_molhi4psQp1qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

I like the proportions of the latest incarnation very much better, the pommel was too slim and benefited greatly from broadening.

Actually, some viking era swords were rather pointy...

wow! this is awesome idea!

Thanks, Petr! I was inspired by these wooden viking figures I saw somewhere online.

tumblr_m5jhuuHv9t1rxc43ko1_500.jpg

As soon as I saw them my mind said, "those are sword handles" and I have to try this. The guy I'm making it for is a guitar player so Bragi made pretty good sense and I gave him a lyre to play instead of a guitar. I'm both excited and nervous about the build.

I like the proportions of the latest incarnation very much better, the pommel was too slim and benefited greatly from broadening.

Actually, some viking era swords were rather pointy...

Yes, this blade design has greatly improved from community involvement.

Thanks Dave! I hope I can pull it off as well as I planned. The planning is something I have learned from watching the Arctic Fire videos. The team you assembled has just the right amount of varied skills to learn from. I loved the sessions from 2012 too. Getting to see all you great blade-smiths show off your craft so that others may learn has been invaluable to my progression as a blade smith. Because of that I started trying to do the geometric designs like Peter Johnsson. I'm still not sure I quite grasp it right but at the very least I now make a full schematic to work from. After seeing David DelaGardelle's session on drawing out the swords I had a "Duh" moment. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator, of course I should be drawing out my blades and handles even before I draw them out ;) But thank you for helping to highlight these people for the community.

Josh -- Thanks. This is great to hear! Luck on the build. -Dave

• 2 months later...

I’ve been working on this fairly slowly over the second half of the summer. I started with a blank of steel (1084) and it’s a bit too wide for the job. I have had to do a lot of compressing to get this down to shape. But I am finally into the final stages of the rough forge. I had to modify my forge part way through by adding a couple fire bricks to the sides and a partial brink in the back. This immediately increased the efficiency and I was able to pick up the pace of work. 

I did take a few breaks to make some rail road spike tomahawks as practice. It was nice and fun, but now I’m ready to get this project moving.

More to come after the weekend, hopefully.

tumblr_msojubII201qz9mvno10_1280.jpg

tumblr_msojubII201qz9mvno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_msojubII201qz9mvno1_1280.jpg